What do you do to get motivated?

Harmonicgirl

I'm soooo obsessed with fantasy books right now, and feel like reading more!

(I know it's unhealthy when doing IB as you tend to sleep late already... but I can't stop)

So, somebody, can you suggest me what to read?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, my suggestions are:

1. Bartimaeus Trilogy (Jonathan Stroud)

Just AWESOME!! Recommended!!!

2. Black Magician Trilogy (Trudi Canavan)

Same as above

3. Age of the Five Trilogy (Trudi Canavan)

Quite nice

4. Artemis Fowl Series (Eoin Colfer)

Getting more and more interesting towards the end

5. Pellinor Series (Alison Croggon)

Haven't read the last one yet, but it is supposed to be good

6. Old Kingdom Trilogy (Garth Nix) [sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen]

Very nice, kind of new style, I think

7. The Keys to the Kingdom (Garth Nix)

I admit, this one is a bit childish, but still okay. In the end, it's getting more and more interesting.

So, more suggestions please? :)

I always think about the nice feeling I'm going to get once i finish my IB exams.

Just think about it, imagine it, how happy and reliefed you're going to feel when you're done forever with IB. :)

Personally, I feel that if I don't work now, like procrastinate my work and mess them all up, I wouldnt get that feeling when I finish my IB exams, because I know I havent really done my best.

So, yeah, thinking about my graduation day helps me ALOT. :)

I always believe that the best person to motivate you is yourself. Because no one understand you better than you.

Being in this IB programme, I have no doubt that this is really a tough one. I like to talk to my self when I am alone. Its like talking to a friend and the friend is actually yourselves. Just talk about anything. Your problems, studies, family, anything...

You will be your best friend ever.

Besides that, just look around and you will see some of your friend who did well while some are not. Take examples from the good one and help your weak friends. You will realize what extra value that you have to survive in IB. :P

Get motivated!!!

I used to never get motivated, ever :D That went on till halfway through my IB1 year, which was a bit of a problem.

These days, I think of these things to force myself to be motivated:

1) One of my friend told me that she liked, adored, whatever, me because I tried and did everything, pulling every one of them off near perfection. She's actually much older than me, so her telling me that boosted my self-esteem somewhat :D So whenever I feel lazy, I think that yeah, me doing something and trying hard in these stuff that I said I'd do actually makes other people like me and look upto me. And I enjoy being the centre of attention and adoration so that helps me a lot.

2) I also like myself trying hard in stuff, whether it's studying or drum or fencing or whatever. I feel proud of me when I'm able to resist the temptation to use internet, which I'm unable to do so right now :P That feeling of self-love-or-whatever-you-may-call-it keeps me going.

3) I picture what I want to be later on. When I get into my dream university; how I would jump around giving loud hoots of joy and call absolutely everybody I know, shouting at them that I got in there. When I become really great at drums; how I might be able to perform on stage someday and show off my skills. When I finally learn how to play Eddie Higgins's Autumn Leaves; how I would be able to play that when I go visit the nursing home and stuff. Then I tell myself that "you'd never be able to do those things unless you try hard, now."

4) Contrary to 3), I picture myself when I didn't achieve what I was aiming for; what comes as the greatest motivation to me then is the thought of what'd happen to me if I don't get into my dream uni, how everybody would be disappointed at and laughing at me.

5) This might sound a little mean, but I also think that I should study harder now so I can beat my friends :P or at least get the same mark as they do.

Edited by Hughie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I think motivation is one of the most necessary things for success in IB. I tend to motivate myself by keeping to a strict schedule, and rewarding myself for finishing things, ie/ finish up my EE editing = half hour of down time. But honestly, motivation for me is almost synonymous with inspiration. At times, I feel demotivated either because of the mounting pile of work, or because I don't know how to approach something. In the case of the first one, taking things one at a time, and forgetting the others is definitely helping. By stressing about everything, and trying to do everything at once, I tend not to get anything done. Also, I find that music or a good conversation with a friend are the things that inspire me. In the end, it comes down to finding your own motivation, and simply getting things done.

• Like 1

My ultimate motivating factor is definitely reminding myself that I'm working towards something important. Most of the time, just knowing that my sleepless nights consisting of endless labour will eventually pay off is all I need to kick myself into gear.

However, this sometimes isn't sufficient, depending on my mood. When I feel particularly overwhelmed and completely unmotivated, I might put on some incredibly energetic music. Art Brut, Shout Out Louds, M.I.A...anything borderline neurotic. :dash: The more energy I have, the more I'm willing to tackle my challenges head on. *nods*

I think to myself, if you don't do well you'll have to go to the university of Toronto.

that usually makes me want to do better.

Note: I want to be a psychologist, a field which U of T in substandard for.

Where did you hear that psychology was a field that U of T was substandard in? I doubt this is the case, although I'm pretty sure U of T is a damn hard school. Nonetheless, it's a reputable school and definitely not substandard for anything. It's funny how all the people that I know who live in Toronto shudder at the idea of going to U of T while there are international students vying to come here.

BUT THAT ASIDE! A response to the topic - I literally start writing down "worst possible scenarios" to make myself work.

Wow, seriously? Looking at university websites prolongs my procrastination sessions exponentially. I've wasted 5 hours reading university sites before because they make me want to go so badly.

Likewise when I look up med schools and writing the MCAT... but then it does freak me out into working hahaha