Which was the hardest IB science class for you?

Guest IMBATMAN

Guest IMBATMAN

Just was wondering which do you think was the most challenging of the science classes offered. i personally think it is chem, but that just me.

1. IB Chemistry SL

2. IB Chemistry HL

3. IB Biology

4. IB Physics

5. IB Environmental Sciences

6. Others?

Thanks!

Personally I think it depends on the person. Mathematical people will prefer Physics to Biology and non-mathematical people the other way around! Arguably, then, the hardest for both sets of people that they might agree on is Chemistry as it requires concepts AND mathematical ability :)

As a non-mathematical person I am going to say Physics, but as I say.. it depends where your strengths lie! I also thought that Chemistry HL was a demon.

The easiest one is supposedly Environmental Sciences :(

I would be inclined to say that Chemistry HL is the hardest IB science, followed closely by Physics HL, the Physics SL, Biology HL, Chemistry SL, Biology SL, and Environmental Systems and Societies SL, in that order.

Of course, of those, I've only taken Chemistry and Biology HL, so it's not as though I have experience with the others (except that those classes were joint HL and SL, so I have some idea of the SL versions of those courses); this is just based on what I've heard about them.

I would say Physics HL even though I didn't take physics. Having said this, my friends who were in MATH HL didn't find it really hard, whereas they found Biology a bit hard, since it's more of concepts than memorizing formulas.

Like others said previously, if someone is a big fan of biology, then I don't think they would find physics very entertaining (like me, I hate Physics)

Chemistry? It's a little of both really, but I feel it goes more with biology, although logically, it should go with Physics, but for me? Nope Chemistry goes well with Biology, as I found some topics in chemistry explain something in Biology, and vice versa. :)

IB Enviromental Sciences? I think that's the IB Science candy. :)

Biology is the hardest for me. last year I took Bio IGCSE (kinda forced to) and I only scored a B while I scored A* for Chem&Add Maths.

thats why I am taking Physics this year altho I didnt do Phy IGCSE (my school offers only Phy and Bio for group 4, and Chem is placed under group 6 alternatives. for timetable reason, preventing class clashes). I have done well in the first quarter, but then looking at the Phy holiday HW, some questions (out of 25 qns) just dont make sense and I feel so ashamed for not understanding those questions realising that Im taking Phy HL. but my teacher hasnt really taught half of the chapter and that might be the reason why I cant do the HW

and in Chem, I thought it would be pretty easy but it turned out that Chem is really challenging. maybe because my teacher never explains clearly that I cant get what she means; and remembering that English is not my first language, I need to understand some terms to get the concept correctly

However, I still think that Bio is the hardest and I could still do quite well in Phy and Chem :)

Hi guys,

can we stick to writing explanations why we think a certain one is etc. Please don't reply with 1 or 2 worded posts as I will be deleting these because they are spammy and useless to the discussion.

Thanks to everyone who's contributing with backed up opinions :)

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, it really depends on the teacher.

I have an awesome chemistry teacher, and i'm whizzing through it, finding it really easy - I'm ding CHem HL btw.

Physics however, is a lot harder for me. Whether it's because my teacher is worse or I just find the subject harder I don't know.

So yeah, definately Physics HL for me

I think Bio HL is really hard! There's just SO much to memorize. It seems like in Chem HL there isn't as much memorizing, or at least, that's what my friends say. But Chem HL is probably harder than Bio HL, since there are a lot of C's and D's in that class. Those are the only sciences offered at my school. Although I'm currently taking AP Physics, which I actually enjoy. It's funny because I'm more of a humanities, English-history type person, and I like physics better than biology. I think it's because there's not so much memorizing. That, or I'm just weird. :yes:

As previous have said, it really depends. I'd be inclined to say how motivated a student is willing to try too. I'm only in Biology HL, though I almost opted to take Physics SL. Honestly though, I think I would look more forward to Physics SL than Bio any day at my school, just because I know I can conquer Physics from my past experience with it and because I'm not sure I'm stable with having to memorize everything for Biology.

I'd rank them from Physics HL, Chemistry HL, Biology HL, Physics SL, Biology SL, Chemistry SL, to Environmental HL/SL. I would only put Bio SL before Chem SL because I took General Chemistry I (non-IB, prior to my 2 years in the IDP) and everything I learned was on the Chemistry SL. Plus, there's still a lot of memorization in Bio SL!

Hmm currently in HL Bio, HL Chem, and SL Physics, and personally I can not tell which is hardest. Right now I'd say physics because I kind of...skipped a year of it (our SL course is 2 years o.O). Biology would certainly be the easiest in my opinion. A lot of it is memorizing processes and other conceptual stuff. But again it really does depend on what you like and/or understand. And honestly taking all 3 of these, even though I'm called a freak, has made all 3 of them...easier...because one explains another which explains the other. Like chemistry explaining some of nuclear physics as well as organic chem explaining the kreb cycle better, or the digestive system.

All in all I'd probably go with SL Phys>=HL Chem>HL Bio. Now I just wish my school would bring HL Physics back, they stopped it right before I started IB :D

Well, I am taking Chem SL and Bio HL, and I think that both aren't too difficult, though I have only been taking them for a months, though I might be inclined to say Chem is harder. I'm not sure why, I am in Maths HL and I absolutely love it, but Bio HL seems to be easier than even Chem SL. However, it is interesting to note that my school selected Bio as a required HL and Chem at only SL (and will introduce Physics HL next year) since American students statistically score highest in Bio HL and lowest in Chem HL. To be honest, no school in my district even offers Chem HL, though I would have loved to do it . . .

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I, a truly unskilled mathematician- by anyones standards, have doomed myself by taking HL Chemistry. I needed my chemistry credit (so said the school) and thought why not double it up and make chemistry my IB science, worst decision of my life to date, I would say. Thats the dilemma of many of the students in my class. I've heard that HL Biology is easier, much easier than HL Chemistry but that it does take work, memorizing.

Those are the only IB sciences that my school offers so I can't really give an opinion on the other sciences.