Commerce at Monash, Melbourne or Deakin

benjii

Hey guys,

So I've done quite a bit of background research into each of these three universities and the commerce structures they offer. I'll break up my findings into each of the respectively universities:

Deakin

Although Deakin is supposably renowned for their Commerce course, they don't offer as much depth in terms of electives and majors as both Monash and Melbourne. Likewise, score-wise, only around an ATAR of 80 (which I think is between 27 - 29) is required to get in. I know they offer a Deans Scholar program which has an ATAR of around 95, if we look past the facade of the high enter all I think it really is is some extra 1v1 tutoring (which at the end of the day probably won't help, a degree is a degree regardless of how you got it) and some financial incentive... only a couple of grand per year, but if you have a job (and use HECS) this isn't really necessary. By the way, feel free to correct me if I am wrong in any of these facts.

Monash

Ok, so I went to Monash Open Day a bit over a month ago and had a look at what the offered. Firstly, score-wise, for a double-degree in Economics and Commerce (which is what I would like to do) the ATAR is 92.15; a 33/34. I know for a single degree it's a bit over 90 I believe. Cost-wise, apparently according to this (http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/1319/) its slightly over $8,000 per year (Melbourne is around $8,800). Now, to the actual course itself. They both offer very similar majors and electives, so in terms of variety there isn't much seperating the two. The length of a double-degree at Monash is 4 years, whereas a single degree is 3 years. I'm not sure on the exact contact hours (if someone could find a link for them I would be much appreciative). The actual facilities at Monash are also reasonably top-class; to my understanding they have several cafes, a gym, many ovals, gardens, basketball courts and so on.

Finally, the location of Monash can be either perfect or a real pain too. Either I can catch 1 bus (30 mins one way) to get to Monash or 1 bus, 1 train, 2 trams and walk to get to Melbourne (over 1 hour one way, therefore over 2 hours a day on public transport!).

Melbourne

I'm beginning to get tired of all the people who assume that Melbourne University is incredible just because of their image and reputation. Apart from the location/financial/score difference, really the argument lies in getting a single or a double degree. Personally I'm quite convinced that the double degree at Monash is the way to go, but I'm doing German as a second language and would love to pursue that in the future. Apparently I can do this at both Universities (I've looked, trust me), but due to Melbourne's 'reputation' I might be able to get a job over more easily.

And now I ask for your input. Are you in a similar situation to me, and if so, what university are you choosing and why? I'd love to hear what other people have to think on each of the universities (even those I haven't mentioned!).

By the way, 1st round selection due 30th September everyone!

Cheers guys,

Ben

Business Management HL
Economics HL
English A1 HL
German B SL
Chemistry SL
Maths SL

I am already planning to go to Deakin to study business and media and communication cause im takin the bachelor of commerce/bachelor of arts option.

which uni are u leanin towards?

I'm probably leaning more towards Monash, due to convenience, reputation and the double degree. I have a friend who is looking to do a commerce/arts degree at Deakin and he seems pretty chuffed about it.

Deakin is a great uni. Just a bit out of my way.

Best of luck getting in!

oh sounds good, I have a friend who is going to study in Monash and another at Uni of Melb starting Feb 2011. I am looking to join Deakin after I finish my IB which is still quite a long time from now.

i am not sure what you meant by the term 'Chuffed' lol english isnt really my first language hahah. what does it mean?

btw if your looking for unis other than the ones in melbourne, Bond University at the gold coast seems to be a pretty good way to go. quite a lot of people mentioned the uni to me, but im still stickin to melbourne

well best of luck with Monash!

oh sounds good, I have a friend who is going to study in Monash and another at Uni of Melb starting Feb 2011. I am looking to join Deakin after I finish my IB which is still quite a long time from now.

i am not sure what you meant by the term 'Chuffed' lol english isnt really my first language hahah. what does it mean?

btw if your looking for unis other than the ones in melbourne, Bond University at the gold coast seems to be a pretty good way to go. quite a lot of people mentioned the uni to me, but im still stickin to melbourne

well best of luck with Monash!

Woopsy apologises for my vernacular!(slang) =)

Bond University is ridiculously expensive, but hey, if you can afford it it's definitely worth a look. Apparently Bond has the best teacher/student ratio in Australia (probably due to the high fees). Someone from my school last year got a scholarship to study there; plus it's placed right on the Gold Coast! Looovely weather there!

Oh and yes, I have to agree with the above comment. My mum (who works at Monash) tells me that their international students program is topnotch. Gah I just want to finish school already!

Good luck with your decision :D

Edited by benjii

• 1 year later...

I researched on the four main unis in melbourne; RMIT, DEAKIN, MELB UNI and MONASH.

Due to my subject selection, i am the only student in my physics class to do chemistry. Ive always wanted to do architecture although i was **** in art but after finding out the level of unemployment which followed - i gave up. I am now thinking just to focus on my marks and get a good mark. I have all the prerequisite subjects for any course in uni (except art portfolios). My subjects are:

Maths sl

history HL

english hl

indonesian abinitio sl

chemistry Hl

physics sl

I know it's well past time for Benjii (out of curiosity, which one did you end up picking?), but I figured I may as well respond as it seems quite a few international students etc are curious as to the differences between the three.

Hey guys,

So I've done quite a bit of background research into each of these three universities and the commerce structures they offer. I'll break up my findings into each of the respectively universities:

Deakin

Although Deakin is supposably renowned for their Commerce course, they don't offer as much depth in terms of electives and majors as both Monash and Melbourne. Likewise, score-wise, only around an ATAR of 80 (which I think is between 27 - 29) is required to get in. I know they offer a Deans Scholar program which has an ATAR of around 95, if we look past the facade of the high enter all I think it really is is some extra 1v1 tutoring (which at the end of the day probably won't help, a degree is a degree regardless of how you got it) and some financial incentive... only a couple of grand per year, but if you have a job (and use HECS) this isn't really necessary. By the way, feel free to correct me if I am wrong in any of these facts.

Monash

Ok, so I went to Monash Open Day a bit over a month ago and had a look at what the offered. Firstly, score-wise, for a double-degree in Economics and Commerce (which is what I would like to do) the ATAR is 92.15; a 33/34. I know for a single degree it's a bit over 90 I believe. Cost-wise, apparently according to this (http://www.monash.ed...er/course/1319/) its slightly over $8,000 per year (Melbourne is around $8,800). Now, to the actual course itself. They both offer very similar majors and electives, so in terms of variety there isn't much seperating the two. The length of a double-degree at Monash is 4 years, whereas a single degree is 3 years. I'm not sure on the exact contact hours (if someone could find a link for them I would be much appreciative). The actual facilities at Monash are also reasonably top-class; to my understanding they have several cafes, a gym, many ovals, gardens, basketball courts and so on.

Finally, the location of Monash can be either perfect or a real pain too. Either I can catch 1 bus (30 mins one way) to get to Monash or 1 bus, 1 train, 2 trams and walk to get to Melbourne (over 1 hour one way, therefore over 2 hours a day on public transport!).

Melbourne

I'm beginning to get tired of all the people who assume that Melbourne University is incredible just because of their image and reputation. Apart from the location/financial/score difference, really the argument lies in getting a single or a double degree. Personally I'm quite convinced that the double degree at Monash is the way to go, but I'm doing German as a second language and would love to pursue that in the future. Apparently I can do this at both Universities (I've looked, trust me), but due to Melbourne's 'reputation' I might be able to get a job over more easily.

And now I ask for your input. Are you in a similar situation to me, and if so, what university are you choosing and why? I'd love to hear what other people have to think on each of the universities (even those I haven't mentioned!).

By the way, 1st round selection due 30th September everyone!

Cheers guys,

Ben

Business Management HL
Economics HL
English A1 HL
German B SL
Chemistry SL
Maths SL

Melbourne still has better reputation, particularly with international companies, and thus more employability. Plus, in terms of arts and social sciences their advantage over Monash is more pronounced - if this was a natural science course you were looking at, the choice would easily be Monash. The campus is beautiful, too. Ultimately, you end goal matters a lot. What do you want to do after university? For example, I'm aiming to become a salaried legal or financial consultant to a respectable firm in Europe, before perhaps going into business myself in the States through investment banking and whatnot, hence my ideal scenario is a B.A. in Jurisprudence (i.e. Law) at Oxford and then a M.Sc. in Finance and Economics at the London School of Economics, perhaps with an MBA later. Domestically, I'd go a reputable B.Comm and then a JD. Considering the type of firms I'd want to apply to, even if I didn't personally dislike Deakin I wouldn't apply there; and Melbourne's international reputation and connections (ie dual degree programmes with Oxford and Ivy League schools) is very important to me were I to stay in Melbourne.

Note that Monash and Melbourne both have their own Dean's/Chancellor's scholarship program - Monash Dean's Scholarship for Commerce requires about 98 ATAR and Melbourne requires 99.90 for their Chancellor's scholarship. Both are full scholarships with a 5-6k stipend per annum; and the courses are quite different to the standard program and look brilliant on a resume, not to mention getting you more connections. Also, being a Melbourne Chancellor's scholarship recipient guarantees entry into any Melbourne postgrad program you desire (within reason - I don't think you can go into their MD program via a B.A.)

As for the contact hours, Monash single-degree contact hours are pretty low - though it depends on your view towards lectures; double degree contact hours would logically be higher. Melbourne wouldn't be much more than Monash, if not equal. What can be irritating with both of them is that often one can get unlucky with their timetable and have a 9am class or whatever and then nothing until 2pm. If at Monash, you may well decide to go home, but at Melbourne you're stuck waiting for the next class. Could always go into the city to amuse yourself, however.

You couldn't pay me to go to Deakin, Monash is alright, Melbourne is good. My in-state preferences would probably be in this order:

1. Bachelor of Commerce at Melbourne on the Chancellor's Scholarship with fast-track into JD (hopefully their dual-JD with Columbia or JD/MLF with Oxford)

2. Bachelor of Commerce at Monash on the Dean's Scholarship

3. Bachelor of Business (Banking and Finance) and Bachelor of Laws at Monash

4. Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor in Laws at Monash

5. Bachelor of Commerce at Melbourne

6. Bachelor of Commerce and Economics at Monash

7. Bachelor of Commerce at Monash

8. Bachelor of Business (Banking and Finance) at Monash

9. Bachelor of Business (Law) at Monash

Admittedly I'm an academic elitist, however. And if I were limited to my last two choices, I may consider doing a degree through the ADF instead.

• Like 1