Have you ever had thoughts of suicide?

Guest IMBATMAN

Not that any of us would have the time to commit suicide, but nah I'm very happy and grateful about my life and generally freaked out by the thought of not existing so I'd love to postpone this kind of physical statement for as long as possible ... and don't tell me you dislike long sentences. (punning)

Can't imagine being freaked out by not existing. I mean, consider it logically: to not exist means to not exist. It's neither good nor bad: it's the absence of both... life is full of ups and downs, it makes sense to me to want to choose the middle ground. The only reason I won't is because of the my family/friends (think McCandless). My theory though is the people around people who commit suicide are responsible, obliquely or not. It should be a moral precept of being in a community to reach out and help.

Nobody heard him, the dead man,

But still he lay moaning:

I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking

And now he's dead

It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,

They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always

(Still the dead one lay moaning)

I was much too far out all my life

And not waving but drowning.

(Stevie Smith)

I disagree, because I find myself trying to improve people's quality of life around me all the time, especially miserable people! the person themselves have to want to find happiness, and maybe get a push of courage from sommeone and it'll work out. I think people who commit suicide are the cowards who couldn't deal with problems. I've had problems they go away! do yoga :sadnod:

I think it's much more cowardly to stay alive, sometimes. Takes courage to pull the trigger. And to say that problems go away is ridiculous. If I was in the terminal stages of cancer I might kill myself (or I might smoke some more :-). Or what if you're born deformed but mentally sound, forced to spend the rest of your life watching other people with barely masked envy like a stake in your flesh eating away at you, day in, day out? These problems do not go away.

Or how about having AIDS? Or Huntington's? Imagine drawing closer to death, inexorably, every time you take a breath...

Maybe it's cowardly to commit suicide for frivolous reasons. But the fact that depression can be treated with drugs hints at its chemical nature... in many ways the intent to commit suicide is not a choice, it's an illness.

Anyways, have you seen Greenberg? I imagine you a little like that. Don't resent others for your compulsion to help them!

"Can't imagine being freaked out by not existing. I mean, consider it logically: to not exist means to not exist. It's neither good nor bad: it's the absence of both... life is full of ups and downs, it makes sense to me to want to choose the middle ground. The only reason I won't is because of the my family/friends (think McCandless). My theory though is the people around people who commit suicide are responsible, obliquely or not. It should be a moral precept of being in a community to reach out and help.

I see your point very much but I don't like it imagining how perception is at an absolute zero.

It's not like you're in a black space of emptiness, firstly the space is not a space, secondly there's no such thing as "black", no colour whatsoever... neither is there any temperature. There is no non-pressure of nothing against the skin that you don't have.

Rather dull if you ask me. Yes, nothing of everything is dull. And it freaks me out that I have to leave this wonderful place of everything to a place where (not even) nothing exists... like everyone else...

But what to do hey, make wise use of the time that you've got.

As you say, "life is full of ups and downs" and yea but no it is not sensible to me wanting to leave in advance. Times may be rough and horrid but sooner or later there will be a turn towards good again. And there's nothing more worth waiting for.

"Can't imagine being freaked out by not existing. I mean, consider it logically: to not exist means to not exist. It's neither good nor bad: it's the absence of both... life is full of ups and downs, it makes sense to me to want to choose the middle ground. The only reason I won't is because of the my family/friends (think McCandless). My theory though is the people around people who commit suicide are responsible, obliquely or not. It should be a moral precept of being in a community to reach out and help.

I see your point very much but I don't like it imagining how perception is at an absolute zero.

It's not like you're in a black space of emptiness, firstly the space is not a space, secondly there's no such thing as "black", no colour whatsoever... neither is there any temperature. There is no non-pressure of nothing against the skin that you don't have.

Rather dull if you ask me. Yes, nothing of everything is dull. And it freaks me out that I have to leave this wonderful place of everything to a place where (not even) nothing exists... like everyone else...

But what to do hey, make wise use of the time that you've got.

As you say, "life is full of ups and downs" and yea but no it is not sensible to me wanting to leave in advance. Times may be rough and horrid but sooner or later there will be a turn towards good again. And there's nothing more worth waiting for.

Don't understand. How can it be dull to be dead? It's not DULL. It's nothing. No feeling. No perception. No understanding. No thought. Nothing... and yes maybe it's better to feel and known nothing at all than to be happy. I don't know myself. Still trying to work this out

Don't understand. How can it be dull to be dead? It's not DULL. It's nothing. No feeling. No perception. No understanding. No thought. Nothing... and yes maybe it's better to feel and known nothing at all than to be happy. I don't know myself. Still trying to work this out

I knew you would say that.

You are correct. But apart from what you say, being dead is quite dull.

What could possibly be the loss of living if the state that awaits post life is all continuous death?

I think it's much more cowardly to stay alive, sometimes. Takes courage to pull the trigger. And to say that problems go away is ridiculous. If I was in the terminal stages of cancer I might kill myself (or I might smoke some more :-). Or what if you're born deformed but mentally sound, forced to spend the rest of your life watching other people with barely masked envy like a stake in your flesh eating away at you, day in, day out? These problems do not go away.

Or how about having AIDS? Or Huntington's? Imagine drawing closer to death, inexorably, every time you take a breath...

Maybe it's cowardly to commit suicide for frivolous reasons. But the fact that depression can be treated with drugs hints at its chemical nature... in many ways the intent to commit suicide is not a choice, it's an illness.

Anyways, have you seen Greenberg? I imagine you a little like that. Don't resent others for your compulsion to help them!

it's not bravery to pull the trigger it's Angst

first of all before we continue arguing about 2 different things, we have to specify what subjectivity criteria we have. i.e what the hell we're talking about! I wasn't referring to people with terminal cancer. When I wrote what I wrote I was thinking of someone with social issues. So that was the limitation of my argument. Of course depression is an illness, I didn't say it wasn't. But illnesses get cured/dealt with if not you die. Sometimes it's painful and slow, but there's no need to spend your last days in a horrible mood. I got hit by a car and they thought I was paralyzed for a good 3/4 hours until I got to see a doctor and I was laughing about getting hit by a car! I'm not saying it's the same as knowing your going to die, but I did think I wasn't going to be able to move again... but I still laughed about it!

deal with things as they come I think. and I shall look up Greenberg!

My theory though is the people around people who commit suicide are responsible, obliquely or not. It should be a moral precept of being in a community to reach out and help.

It can be hard to know that someone is about to commit suicide. One of my friend's classmates commited suicide in 9th grade and it came as a surprise to everyone. I'd met her a cuople of times and if someone seemed happy and content, it's her.

There is always somebody out there who loves you (or at least cares about your safety), even if you think no one does.

It's not necessarily always about whether or not anyone at all loves/cares about you, but whether or not that one person does.

Yeah, I've thought of suicide many times. Still do every now and then, related to the sentence above. Won't do it though; I made a promise that I wouldn't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

I've never actually considered doing it. As a few others have said before, I've occasionally thought "what if..." but have never come anywhere near considering doing it in reality.

I vent my frustrations with the IB on inanimate objects, not myself. It's not my fault Mr. IB is evil. I've punched many a wall and should seriously invest in a punching bag for the rest of my senior year. I guess I've chosen to view Mr. IB as some dead object in those early-morning sessions of anger at whatever's keeping me awake.

I wouldn't ever give my life up over something like this. Depending on the situation, I might give it up to save others, but I'd never give it up for my own personal gain. After all, I wouldn't gain anything by dying.

Plus, I'm too perturbed by the prospect of being nothing. It's not something that I can imagine. I know it will happen, but I just can't wrap my head around what it would be like, and I'm not about to make the time to find out come any earlier. I plan on living as long as I possibly can.

There are so many things I still want to do with my life, so I would never dream of ending it now.

• 2 weeks later...

i know this girl in my school that recently took a drug overdose...even though i dont know her that well, i still blame myself. The reason she killed herself was because a)her family was so spread apart and her mom was not there for her b)she didnt have ANY friends at school to come to when she had problems at home. Even though I could have not stopped her family problems, it sure would have been easier if she had someone to talk to. And its not like she didnt have any friends because she was ugly or stupid or anything like that, she was always this really quiet girl. Even when she killed herself, no one in school even realised she was gone...which is so sad. Hey, if you see someone at school thats sitting alone or is really quiet, just talk to them! They might not be the coolest, but it will deffinitely mean a lot to them. No ones asking you to marry them or anything like that. We need to learn from this people!

• Like 5

i know this girl in my school that recently took a drug overdose...even though i dont know her that well, i still blame myself. The reason she killed herself was because a)her family was so spread apart and her mom was not there for her b)she didnt have ANY friends at school to come to when she had problems at home. Even though I could have not stopped her family problems, it sure would have been easier if she had someone to talk to. And its not like she didnt have any friends because she was ugly or stupid or anything like that, she was always this really quiet girl. Even when she killed herself, no one in school even realised she was gone...which is so sad. Hey, if you see someone at school thats sitting alone or is really quiet, just talk to them! They might not be the coolest, but it will deffinitely mean a lot to them. No ones asking you to marry them or anything like that. We need to learn from this people!

Sad story, but true morals.

I heard a story about an IB student that killed himself by drug overdose in a bathroom, because he felt he felt there was not other way out. I thought this was interesting. Have you ever had a serious thought about suicide?

Im being serious,I want to know

Nope, I'm not a happy person, but I'm content, and I realize that's better than what ALOT of people have.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never thought about comitting suicide... I think that no matter how hard life may be sometimes, those bad moments almost always come to an end.

And if they don't (as someone said before, with illnesses such as AIDS or cancer), well then... you might wanna take a look at this guy. He's considered one of the greatest virtuoso guitar players out there, and all of a sudden he got ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis; in short, you lose the ability to move... yeah). Try to imagine, it's like being a marvelous painter and out of nowhere, become blind. Despite that, he's still alive and composing his wonderful music :P.

Just throwing that out there. I mean, I like to believe that there's ALWAYS a reason to live for, always. Anyways, that's my opinion.

Oh yeah, I have multiple times. The fact is, by the age of around 16 or so, everybody thinks about suicide at least once. Maybe it's because you wonder what the world would be like without you, or how people would feel, or something like that. However, I've NEVER ONCE considered actually doing it. Firstly, I enjoy life too much :(. Secondly, I think it's an easy way out. I understand that some people just can't handle it anymore, and just need to get away, but you should always consider that at your lowest low, the only way to go is up.

Another thing, I've never considered suicide because of IB or school. We may complain about it so much, but I wouldn't have high school any other way. Truth is, i'd probably defend IB to my last dying breath. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm, I suppose I've wanted to I don't know, escape before, but I've always thought of it as locking myself in my room for a month, or not communicating with anyone ever again, not full suicide. In some ways I think of wanting to live as being a gambling addict who thinks to themselves; 'if I stop playing now, the next hand might be a big win' or something... I don't know how to express it very well, but that's kind of what it feels like; that one shouldn't make themselves die earlier because of the possible hope that tomorrow will bring.

Also, there was something someone said to me a while ago that I think every time I hear about suicide. They said that suicide is the most cruel act one can perform, and is incredibly selfish, because all it does is blast you into oblivion while hurting the people who wanted to be there for you. I don't know if I fully agree with that, sometimes those loved ones may be able to understand how much it hurt that person to go on living, but that thought still stops me in my tracks so easily.

On the other hand again, I've always had the feeling, or possibly hope, that I'd go some way like that. Not suicide specifically, but it just seems like such as sad thing to reach old age to me, and suddenly suicide as opposed to old age seems more appealing somehow. I just feel like I'd prefer to be caught in the crossfire of a mafia war (just an example) in my early thirties that disappear into my mind with dementia in my nineties.. I don't know, maybe that's just me saying I'd rather die than grow old, or just watching too much Misfits (with immortal Nathan)...

Sorry if this post was jumpy... it's late.