Question

Lil

Is it important WHEN you apply to Uni? For ex. does the students who applied on 1 October have more chance to be accepted than the ones who applied on 5 January?!

Generally the earlier the better, but not exactly earlier, let me explain. If it's early action, meaning before the regular deadline, then you'll have a better chance than those who go regular. But if the deadline is in 2 weeks, a person that sends it today will have the same chances than a person sending it in 1 week or the day before, just as long as it gets there :)

Guest iber2468

I think you're talking about ED/EA/REA

The Early pool has less people, so the acceptance percentage is like 10-30% higher than the regular pool. However, only the really good people apply (theoretically) so that's a challenge right there.

Also ED acceptance = you MUST go to that school

The regular pool is a free-for-all. Someone people just want to get it over with and know their decision in December.

If you're not talking about Early Pool... and referring to the "suggested deadlines", i usually disregard those. Supposedly if you apply earlier, you might get an interview. But last time I sent my app in on the last day and got an interview 2 weeks later.

I think you're talking about ED/EA/REA

The Early pool has less people, so the acceptance percentage is like 10-30% higher than the regular pool. However, only the really good people apply (theoretically) so that's a challenge right there.

Also ED acceptance = you MUST go to that school

The regular pool is a free-for-all. Someone people just want to get it over with and know their decision in December.

If you're not talking about Early Pool... and referring to the "suggested deadlines", i usually disregard those. Supposedly if you apply earlier, you might get an interview. But last time I sent my app in on the last day and got an interview 2 weeks later.

Ya that's exactly how it works, but you also have to be EXTREMELY careful about early decision, because it's not like early action. This one, if you do it, means you MUST go if you get accepted, no way around it. Whenever a student refuses to go to the early decision school, or got accepted into two early decisions, the person will be black listed all over the country and won't be allowed easely to ANY university. So watch out what you do to get into school.

:0

Is this for real? That's really scary!

It is, and ya it's scary! I mean they call it early decision for a reason, and i never really understood it until a guy from a school near us got blacklisted. It was horrible, mainly because it wasn't that he didn't want to go to the school he got into, but because he got into 2 different early decisions. I think one of them was like an Ivy League and he wasn't expecting to get in, so he went for it and actually got in. Last I heard was that he was struggling with a private university to let him study and that they were making him pay more than the regular student; the problem is that the university that takes him in gets bad reputation for letting these people in, that's why it's not a good idea to do early decision if you don't plan on going there (also if you can't pay for it you get blacklisted as well)

Guest whatever

I know about UCAS applications for UK

So if you apply from September 1st to October 15 they will look at your application and if you fit their requirements they will accept u (either conditional or unconditional offer)

If you apply from October 16 to January 15 .. they will wait till they receive all their applications in January 15 and then assess them equally .

I know about UCAS applications for UK

So if you apply from September 1st to October 15 they will look at your application and if you fit their requirements they will accept u (either conditional or unconditional offer)

If you apply from October 16 to January 15 .. they will wait till they receive all their applications in January 15 and then assess them equally .

lol who told you that? the only reason you'd need to apply before october 15th is to apply to Oxbridge as they don't accept applications anymore after that :P and you'll get your reply from oxbridge sometime in December if I recall correctly. As for applying after October 15th, well I applied on November 30th and got my first reply (offer) on December 2nd or 3rd :P they don't all wait till January 15th :P

lol who told you that? the only reason you'd need to apply before october 15th is to apply to Oxbridge as they don't accept applications anymore after that :P and you'll get your reply from oxbridge sometime in December if I recall correctly. As for applying after October 15th, well I applied on November 30th and got my first reply (offer) on December 2nd or 3rd :P they don't all wait till January 15th :P

Ya, I've heard of Oxbridge doing that. Another big thing with early ACTION, not decision, is that for some universities, like MIT, you get your letter sometime in December and one of 3 things can happen. One you get accepted ;) . The other is that you get referred, meaning they didn't pick you as one of the first people, so they pass your application down to the regular deadline people were you're seen exactly as a regular deadline person. And the third...well if you get the third it's either because you're a drug dealer or you've been in jail a couple of times :hug: Is that you get rejected. I've NEVER heard of anyone getting rejected around my school, but i know that those who get rejected are just the people who apply for apply and just do such a horrible job in the application that they get rejected.