Geography SL/HL Thread

Forester

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Geography is soo much to learn that when it comes to exam time i need about one whole week just to learn the case studies. Does anyone agree with me that the number of case studies needed is ridiculous and the amount of syllabus knowledge required is very small?

Edited by drewrow

OMG I would hated to have to do a practise field work report, one was enough to have to do 41 pages again would have been a nightmare once was enough and also doing an EE in geo. But then again I got a good mark for my field work report in the end.

Actually a field study wasn't so bad but it may be because our teacher did guide us thorugh it. He gave us the type of data that we should collect so all we really had to do was make sense of the data after we collected it and make an analysis and connect everything together. Anyway 41 pages is a lot :yes: for 2500 words or so. You must have had a lot of visuals.

Now Geo EE was a bit of a pain. I felt so doomed because I felt really alone doing the EE. I had no clue what kind of data I was supposed to find, unlike for field study. I wasn't able to get a lot of data by myself so there was a lot of uncertainty and limitations involved in my essay. I didn't feel my advisor was very guiding...unlike my friend who did her EE in physics; she made better progress than I did in terms of getting it started and done because she met so frequently with her advisor. The good thing is my teacher did tip me about not relying on book sources (and truthfully, it's really hard for me to find relevant books in my local library.) The more primary data you can gather, the better your analysis will be. It's almost like another field study. I actually have no clue why I chose to use statistics but thankfully I had the data for it from a census conducted by the government. I think that boosted my essay up.

I did my exam just recently this May and I need to emphasize the words of someone who posted here before. Studying the case studies you did is a really good idea for Paper 2. I studied 4 topics expecting to choose from those + topographic mapping section. My teacher actually covered a little bit of everthing so...that was advantageous for me (I can choose based on my strengths and interest). Unfortunately, I didn't remember what northing meant so no mapping for me :) . I could not pick settlement because we never cover core frame model and I also didn't pick climate and weather because I was't sure whether the diagram really showed El Nino. And the essay questions did not appeal to me. So basically, I did 2 out of the 4 I studied for. So I ended up writing 1 essay for tourism and I can't remember which one I picked for the other topic. But I'm SO grateful to my friend. The night just before the Paper 2 exam, she asked for my case study on tourism so she can have an example of a LEDC so I read it after I had sent it to her even though I never intended to study for that. So that saved me because I felt more confident discussing the issues of tourism using a specific example than drawing a core frame model and explaining it (I seriously know nothing about it; it's not even in the textbook :P ).

So I guess what you can take from that is...rank the optional topics based on how good you are with that topic. And then look at the questions in that order to make a quick decision about which questions to do even if you haven't studied for it. Chances are you might know it better than the topics you studied for (if you choose to study only 4 instead of risk studying all and not know enough...well that was my reason for studying 4).

It's good to do a case study that overlaps sometimes. A lot of geologic hazards are linked. I did a case study on a volcanic event. It also happened to trigger a mass wasting event. So I was able to study the same example for 2 different processes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey my case studies were:

Population - Pro natalist: Russia

Population - Anti natlaist: China

Population - Forced Migration: Darfur

Population - Voluntary Migration: Mexico to USA

Population - Fertility - Mali

Population - Diseases (HIV/AIDS): Sub Saharan Africa

Resources - Oil in the OPEC countries.

Development - Uganda

Lithosphere - Volcanoes: Mt. Pinatubo (Phillipines, 1995) and Heimaey (Iceland, 1978)

Lithosphere - Earthquake: Kobe (Japan, 1991) and Afghanistan (1998)

Coasts - Holderness Coast (England), Sussex coast (England) and Bangladesh

Globalisation - TNC: Nokia

Globalisation - Indigenous people: Maasai (Kenya and Tanzania)

Globalisation - Tourism: Antartica

And now I'm doing Settlement and so far havent got a case study for it yet!!

P.S. Does anyone have a link to access a Paper 2 exam from 2007 with marksheme??

Thanks

• 2 months later...

'Wow I do similar things as judgev did.

Population - Forced Migration: Darfur, Congo, Sudan, Tibet

Population - Voluntary Migration: Mexico to USA

Population - Fertility - Mali

Population - Diseases (HIV/AIDS): Zambia

Population Study: Singapore, Germany and Zambia comparison using population pyramids and data from CIA world factbook- THE geography resource

We also used Turkey to Germany for Migration and discussing advantages and disadvantages of migrants on place of destination

China is anti natalist and we used Singapore as pro natalist as they want more children in their aging country.

Globalisation - TNC: Coca Cola and Nike

Globalisation - Indigenous people: Dani of Irian Jaya (Indonesia) very touching and depressing story.

Globalisation - Tourism: Antarctica

Tourism of India and Gambia to show how they are exploited by the MEDCs

Geography is soo much to learn that when it comes to exam time i need about one whole week just to learn the case studies. Does anyone agree with me that the number of case studies needed is ridiculous and the amount of syllabus knowledge required is very small?

Ok so Im gonna be nice this took me a few weeks to compile this, dont get angry with me about bad facts etc. Im uploading it to be good and nice so, I need to benefit others. These are just the case studies for mass movement, pop., lithosphere, floods.

Hope you like it,

btw some stuff is copied and pasted but its just a collaboration of my notes.

IF you like it say so,

If you dont then dont say anything or critisize.

Thanks and GEO TIME!,

Drewrow

Thank you for your notes. Geography has become my worst subject because I never took down the notes on case studies. However I do remember that the Chinese situation is worse now with the male female ratio at 119 to 100 in 2007.

AT our school HL: study:

Core

Settlements

Topographic Mapping

Lithospheric Processes

Drainage Basins

the bold is SL subjects

But the case studies we did are:

Earthquakes

Kobe, Japan

Izmit, Turkey

California, USA

Kashmir, Pakistan

India

Volcanoes

Pinatubo, Phillipinnes

I can't remember the rest... Ill tell you when i can :P

Core

Brazil (Distribution)

Japan (Structure)

South Africa (Structure)

DTM for UK

Migration Africe to Europe

Darfur (forced Migration)

Aids Case Study (South Africa and USA)

Ethiopia (Malthusian and Boserup Theories)

Sierra Leone (Malthusian and Boserup Theories)

Kerala, India (Natalist Policy)

China (Antinatalist Policy)

Zimbabwe (Land Reform)

Drainage Basins

River OUse, UK

Tell me if you would like any of these...

Explorer...

Edited by exploretheworld

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wow... you only did 2/4 questions in paper 2? Did you manage to scrape a 5 or 6 then?

Haha, you misunderstood. I did 2 out of the 4 topics I "studied" for. So I had no preparation (like doing intense studying on other optional topics) for the other 2 questions that I chose to complete. One of them was an essay question in the Globalisation and Tourism section which I did not prepare for but have read my own case study for.

But I did scrape a 7 and because I was stressing about Paper 2, I only slept 2 hours on the day of the exam, so even I was surprised I was able to write coherently.

Edited by summer_heat

• 2 weeks later...

For cultural integration the Dani people of Irian Jaya are really good. Check it out in Planet Geogrpahy.

Also, anyone have a site which has all the syllabus points covered for the Geography syllabus? I'm resitting my Geography exam in November and yeh I thought I wouldn't need to resit so I left my notes somewhere.

Edited by majik

• 1 month later...

I do Geography HL and I absolutely love it! I also did my EE in Geography and I am looking forward to seeing what I get in both subjects once I do my exams.

Basically, we got taught to focus on one or two LEDCs and one or two MEDCS. However, I really need to memorise my case studies a bit better for the exams. My LEDCs are Senegal and Afghanistan, and my MEDC is Australia. For Lithospheric Processes, I am focussing on Mt Pinatubo and the L'Aquila earthquake. For Coasts I am focussing on Venice and The Holdnerness Coast in the UK.

I'm actually suprised that Geography doesn't have a larger thread on the forum!

• 2 months later...