What are you procrastinating on?

JoeG

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm... A1 EE (1/3rd done), ToK Essay (preliminary plan - i.e. ideas, not structure - done) Economics Portfolio (half-done), French B IA draft (only have a topic), the chapter or so behind I am in Maths SL and IOC prep. Some Organic Chemistry, Periodicity and Bonding revision is probably in order before I can truly say I know the HL Chem core course, too.

Edited by Tony Stark

• 4 weeks later...

We realize the dangers involved in procrastination yet we don't strive to avoid it. You may not realize this now, but in a few years, if you decide to go for higher level learning in a university or college, your workload will pile up proportionally squared to the number of times you procrastinate - and yes, even when you decide to sleep just a little later in the morning. This immense workload will also pile up stress on your mind and body, making you exert too much force to rush an assignment that will be due from next 30 minutes to the next 2 hours. Frankly, stress hurts, and the more stress you have on your body, the quicker you die. That's right. Everyone will eventually die, it's only a matter of when. The best way to prolong it: become stress free. That means doing your homework when you need to, finishing projects when you have to, do the CAS stuff you're supposed to do, and get cracking on that EE. This builds good habits for the future. Don't even procrastinate on building good habits. You've already seen the extent of the damage procrastination does. Many people blame IB for stressing out their lives, but really they put stress upon themselves by not realizing the amount of commitment IB requires. This isn't high school. This is IB, and for those who keep complaining about IB in general, why are you in IB?

For those who oppose me, remember you'll either argue for procrastination, or eventually agree with me. Which will you choose?

• Like 1

We realize the dangers involved in procrastination yet we don't strive to avoid it. You may not realize this now, but in a few years, if you decide to go for higher level learning in a university or college, your workload will pile up proportionally squared to the number of times you procrastinate - and yes, even when you decide to sleep just a little later in the morning. This immense workload will also pile up stress on your mind and body, making you exert too much force to rush an assignment that will be due from next 30 minutes to the next 2 hours. Frankly, stress hurts, and the more stress you have on your body, the quicker you die. That's right. Everyone will eventually die, it's only a matter of when. The best way to prolong it: become stress free. That means doing your homework when you need to, finishing projects when you have to, do the CAS stuff you're supposed to do, and get cracking on that EE. This builds good habits for the future. Don't even procrastinate on building good habits. You've already seen the extent of the damage procrastination does. Many people blame IB for stressing out their lives, but really they put stress upon themselves by not realizing the amount of commitment IB requires. This isn't high school. This is IB, and for those who keep complaining about IB in general, why are you in IB?

For those who oppose me, remember you'll either argue for procrastination, or eventually agree with me. Which will you choose?

I completely agree. For me it's simply a lack of work habits which I've held onto from my early years of school.

I would presume that many people in the IB are similar ; you learn very easily, which made elementary school and highschool a breeze. There was no work required and stuff, it was easy. It was during these years that I acquired the habits of not working.

Maybe it's simply the discrepancy in workload between normal school and IB. Nevertheless, another justification for myself is simply that I was peer-pressured into IB. I am currently the second "graduating" class of my school for IB ; last year, only 2 candidates persevered unto the final exams and neither received their diplomas.

I have learned the valuable lesson of not procrastinating ; unfortunately it was only towards the end of my program. For 3 weeks I had 15,000 words in assignments to hand in (EE, TOK Essay, IAs, etc). It was at this point where I kicked myself into gear and actually worked, actually developped habits I didn't have.

I think that self-discipline is a skill that must be developped,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...