What Languages do you take?

RomzyBryant

English A1 Hl, French A2 SL, and Spanish ab initio... I finished a subject last year so I have three languages. Don't think that the trilingual diploma exists though, and the only way to have three languages is to do one (or more) as (a) certificate(s).

Edit:

Fire.realm is correct, you can probably do two A1 languages and an A2 if you are a linguistic genius or want to apply there or something. Or you could conceivably take six languages (or more) as certificates. Despite what people say, the IB gives you a lot of opportunities really. People just tend to discount non-Diploma-takers, as if that were a bad thing..

Edited by Daedalus

My school offers English A1 HL/SL and French B SL :) Actually you can do three languages if you do an A1 language for Group 1, an A2/B/ab initio for Group 2, then as your option for Group 6, you pick one more language. You don't need to do an extra certificate, as far as I know...

Edited by fire.realm
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My school offers English A1, English A2, English B, Danish A1, Danish B, and French B. However, we did have to fight very hard to get French B, and we don't have very many classes. Spanish is offered in "Pre-IB" but i doubt it will ever make it to the DP because i don't believe we have any qualified teachers.

I don't think it's possible to take a dialect as a language, sorry! blum.gif

Nope, it's possible to take three, there are two in my class that do that. I would have liked to take Spanish as a third language, but like i said my school doesn't offer it sad.gif. It's okay though, i'm quite happy with psychology instead biggrin.gif. I'm not sure if there is, i've only heard of a bilingual diploma, i've never heard or seen any statistics about a trilingual diploma. But since it is possible to take three languages, it might be a possibility! But i doubt there are schools that offer three languages at A1 or 2 level. However, i am also quite sure you can get a bilingual diploma if you write your EE in another language, so maybe if you take 2 languages at A1 or 2 level and then write your EE in a third language??? haha i don't know.

Actually, there is a dialect (though some may argue that it is a language of its own) that the IB offers at Language B - Cantonese B SL/HL. It's just that there is rarely anyone taking the subject, that's all, because most candidates tend to study Mandarin B since it's more practical. I would love to take it but since it's my mother tongue I can't -.-

Anyway, my school offers English A1, Chinese A2 (subject to the Chinese teacher's approval), Mandarin B SL (HL is merely self-taught and I`m the first student to be taking it in my school's history), French B SL (I don't think anyone in my school has ever dared to take HL yet), French ab initio and Spanish ab initio.

I think they might have started offering English B this year, but I doubt so.

• 3 weeks later...

At my school everyone is required to take English A1 HL. :( The only exception is if you are from another country. Then you can self-study your native language for A1 and take English A2 or take two A1 languages if you're really good at English. The girl who sits behind me in English class does Danish A1 and English A2 for example.

For Group 2 the only options are Spanish and French at ab initio or B level. I can't think of anyone who self-studied another language for Group 2.

My school offers English, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, Italian, German and Russian as B HL/SL, A2HL/SL, A1 HL/SL and French and Spanish are also offered as ab initio. That only works, because they combine classes alot, like A1 HL and B HL German, or all Bs Italian.

I think, I have heard of someone taking Hebrew A1 via video conference with a teacher in Israel.

I have never heard of a dialect being taught, sorry.

Our school offers English A1/A2 HL/SL, Finnish A1/A2 HL/SL, Swedish B SL and French Ab Initio SL. I take English A1 HL, Swedish B and French Ab Initio. We don't have English B but apparently they are planning on having only English A1 and English B in the future. The English A1 group is combined but the A2 group is divided into HL and SL. Self-taught A1 is also possible and I think there are some people doing Russian and Hungarian at least.

Okay ours is kinda complicated. In my school we have to carry on IB with our national program. That's why, on our sophomore year we chose a specialized field, sciences or literature. If we pick sciences and we carry on with IB at the same time, at our junior year we might choose Turkish A1 HL/SL, English A2 or English B, it is a necessity that English is a High Level course at my school. If you choose lit on sophomore year and you carry on with IB, You get, Turkish A1 HL as a necessity, English A2/B as a necessity and also you have the option of French A2/B. Its kinda messy but when you spend your entire life in Turkey, you get used to these complications.