Taking both HL and SL exams?

camper365

I am currently a junior and in Latin. I am planning to take SL this year and was wondering if it was possible to also take HL next year. I have yet to get a straight answer from my coordinator and have found no answers on the internet. Does anyone know?

Why would you want to do that? it's such a waste of time. Decide on which level you want to take the subject in and take it! I don't understand why Americans always like to complicate the IB even further

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently a junior and in Latin. I am planning to take SL this year and was wondering if it was possible to also take HL next year. I have yet to get a straight answer from my coordinator and have found no answers on the internet. Does anyone know?

Why would you want to do that? it's such a waste of time. Decide on which level you want to take the subject in and take it! I don't understand why Americans always like to complicate the IB even further

There is a requirement that I can only take 4 hl exams. I am choosing Latin sl as my exam for my diploma but would also like to take hl as a certificate. And I'm sorry that whatever I was saying was too complicated for you, should I try dumbing it down?

I did Physics SL and Maths SL last year, and i am doing Physics HL and Maths HL this year, and use the ones that i need for 4 HL's but so i can use the best grade. And although it wasn't recommended, some circumstances required me to do it this way or choose a different elective, which wasn't what i wanted. So yes you can do it that way, although like elsa said it is a tad more work ;)

There is a requirement that I can only take 4 hl exams. I am choosing Latin sl as my exam for my diploma but would also like to take hl as a certificate. And I'm sorry that whatever I was saying was too complicated for you, should I try dumbing it down?

Although your last comment seems to indicate a somewhat lower level of intelligence, I would suggest taking Latin HL if you really want to. Why would you test SL if you're going to do it again? If you really want Latin HL, bump an HL that is less passionate. Then, you'll be more likely to score higher on the SL subject that you moved from HL. The only real reason to do 4 HLs is either you want to go into the sciences in Uni, you want to go into medicine, or you're looking for another class to fill an elective in your schedule. Don't make it that much harder.