HL Textbooks

chokophilia

We're using the Cambridge text for the syllabus starting May 2014 however there are a large number of errors not just in the answers but in the questions as well. It certainly isn't a reliable text if you're working independently of a teacher (as I often have to do). I much prefer the Mathematics HL Core textbook by Fabio Cirrito (IBID Press). I've found that the Cambridge text doesn't do a great job of preparing you for exams as a lot of the questions just don't take you to the same level as exam questions. 

I'm not doing Math HL but my class chose initially the Haese&Harris textbook and they complained a lot since they considered the questions too easy to prepare them for exams. After some time they switched to the IBID Press textbook which they are much more satisfied with (even though the questions are more difficult and it sometimes takes a whole lesson to solve only one of them).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

i used the ib for international students haese one and i got a 7 and i know a number of people who used it that got a 7 too. the only problem is that when they work out the problems they often skip tests making it hard to follow this is wasn't a problem except when we were doing mathematical induction. so i think you'll be fine 

• 3 weeks later...

After I've read through all the comments, I now want to buy Pearson,Cambridge,IBID by Fabio Cirrito.Am I making a good choice?Or I should buy book by Bill Roberts and Sandy McKenzie instead of Cambridge one?

Wow, are you gonna buy all of them ?? I don't think that will be wise ..... two is more than enough. too many textbooks will just takes you so much time and it is not worth it.

• 1 month later...

For revision I strongly recommend the OSC Hl Math guide, its got all the thoery summaries very concisy to study from , some practice question with worked out answers and is really goodd. It also really cheap, like 10 euros, when these tend to be really expensive. Highly recommended :)

• 3 months later...

Hi!

To be honest, I do not think that you will need more textbooks. Frankly speaking, I never really used one but managed to pass Mathematics HL with 7. And the best thing is to do past papers. You can find them on the Internet (if you have troubles finding them, I have loads of them). If you are interested in online resources, try taking a look at the following links:

http://ibmathstuff.wikidot.com/notes - notes for Mathematics HL

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/differential-calculus - Khan Academy is literally the best thing. Helped me a lot!

https://osc-ib.com/ib-revision-videos - more online videos (though you need to register to watch them)

• 3 months later...

I use the IBID Maths HL (Core) book.. The questions here are really good and similar to the ones in IB... I would suggest you guys to use this book.. They have a ebook version as well.. It covers all the core topics.. And practice the past ppr questions aswell...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...