HL Textbooks

chokophilia

I got cambridge math's HL textbook since physics seemed to be rather detailed challenging , did I make the right decision ? Should I get another publisher? Thanks

I think you made the right decision. It's a They are good textbooks although you will have 3 separate textbooks <_< (TB1, TB2, Option). It explains things clearly and provides a lot of examples. The questions are also challenging, which is good.

You got the right book books! ;)

Edited by Keel
Inserted quote

• 2 weeks later...

We use the Haese & Harris one at school. It's not a terrible textbook, but the questions in the exercises are often too simple compared to actual past paper questions. There's a pretty big jump in difficulty between them. Which is why whenever I'm revising for a test, I never use the textbook. Revising from past papers is muuuuch better. But having said that, the textbook is quite good for consolidating basic concepts.

Haese & Harris does have an Exam Preparation Guide which I think is quite good. The questions in the examination practice sets are similar to real past paper questions, and the good thing about the guide is that it comes with worked solutions.

And about the Cambridge textbook: I know someone from the year above who bought the Cambridge textbook for revision, and she said that it's much better than the Haese & Harris one. I had a look and it does seem pretty good to me!

Okay so here's my problem. I've been using the Oxford textbooks and quite frankly, it's riddled with mistakes. Are there any alternatives which are better? I've heard the IBID is good but I don't really know a lot about it. What are your opinions?

The Haese and Harris book is quite good except its quite wordy and some things may be unclear sometimes however on the whole, its sufficient. The Pearson one is quite good as well however parts of it is confusing at times. I think the oxford one is actually really good since its concise and has many examples, however it honestly lack questions so I would recommend you to look for past papers and do questions from past papers instead.

Honestly, the Oxford textbook is not that bad since it does cover the whole syllabus really well and has complete examples from exam questions, this year for May 2011, I had a question which is exactly the same as the example in the book, so it became very handy since I could just do the question without pondering what method to use.

For Options, I did Statistics and Probability, the Haese and Harris book is not as good as I would want it to be since it is very unclear especially for confidence intervals and hypothesis testing. The structure of it is not very good so there seem to be a few facts missing. Additionally, it does not give you all the functions that could be use in the calculator. I think for the options, the Pearson Baccalaureate one is quite good, it has detailed explanations and some examples as well. Option booklets come with the Maths HL textbook since you have to go on their website to download the option textbook that you're doing.

The oxford study guides are also quite nice, especially for the calculator paper and last minute revision.

The Haese and Harris book is quite good except its quite wordy and some things may be unclear sometimes however on the whole, its sufficient. The Pearson one is quite good as well however parts of it is confusing at times. I think the oxford one is actually really good since its concise and has many examples, however it honestly lack questions so I would recommend you to look for past papers and do questions from past papers instead.

Honestly, the Oxford textbook is not that bad since it does cover the whole syllabus really well and has complete examples from exam questions, this year for May 2011, I had a question which is exactly the same as the example in the book, so it became very handy since I could just do the question without pondering what method to use.

For Options, I did Statistics and Probability, the Haese and Harris book is not as good as I would want it to be since it is very unclear especially for confidence intervals and hypothesis testing. The structure of it is not very good so there seem to be a few facts missing. Additionally, it does not give you all the functions that could be use in the calculator. I think for the options, the Pearson Baccalaureate one is quite good, it has detailed explanations and some examples as well. Option booklets come with the Maths HL textbook since you have to go on their website to download the option textbook that you're doing.

The oxford study guides are also quite nice, especially for the calculator paper and last minute revision.

There are Oxford study guides for HL Math? Where can you get them from? (Or provide me an Amazon link or some sort of link please) :)

Edited by IOwnAndPwnU

There are Oxford study guides for HL Math? Where can you get them from? (Or provide me an Amazon link or some sort of link please) :)

i would like to know that too. i was using a book that came in green for studies, green for sl, and blue for hl. i can't remember its name. if that reminds someone of their book please tell me. currently our year 1 class uses a different book for calculus. oh our blue book i think is confusing but i get easily annoyed with math. my teacher is great but the book is good but i just do not take enought time. so i am studying over the summer. though i still have a final on wednesday for this class. nothing big just worth 10% of my grade. oh our textbook at a cd that came with sample questions.

i am taking these ib classes next year or have taken.

ib math hl

ib bio hl

took 20th cent hist sl ib

ib latin sl

What I mean about oxford study guides are the OSC oxford study course books. Not the ones which come in bio, chem and physics. You can find them on the OSC website: http://www.osc-ib.com/ib-revision-guides/

I recently stumbled upon Mathematics HL Core EXAM PREPARATION & PRACTICE GUIDE (2nd edition) by Haese & Harris. I was wondering if anyone has this and would comment on it.

More information on this is at:

http://www.haeseandharris.com.au/book.asp?book=ibhlcore-2_epg

http://www.amazon.ca/Mathematics-International-Student-Diploma-Preparation/dp/1921500123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305481672&sr=8-1

I recently stumbled upon Mathematics HL Core EXAM PREPARATION & PRACTICE GUIDE (2nd edition) by Haese & Harris. I was wondering if anyone has this and would comment on it.

More information on this is at:

http://www.haeseandharris.com.au/book.asp?book=ibhlcore-2_epg

http://www.amazon.ca/Mathematics-International-Student-Diploma-Preparation/dp/1921500123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305481672&sr=8-1

I have that, it's a photocopied version and I think I have the first version however I personally don't really like it since the questions are much easier than the exam itself. The "important concepts" are quite good for last minute revision I guess, but i'd definitely recommend the OSC Oxford Revision Guide for HL maths instead.

I see that you're enrolled for the May 2011 exams, however if you want a copy of it, you can PM me so i'll scan it for you..(after the exams preferably, its 98 pages)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all!

I'm currently using the "Mathematics for International Student" (Haese & Harris Publications) as my main maths textbook and I was wondering if that would be enough for me to achieve good marks for Maths HL.

There's another Maths book by IBID press but I'm not sure if its worth for me to get it

Or should I just do questions from past papers?

What ar ur thoughts?

I'm using the same book, and I have to say its the most useful book, ever. IT has the graphing packing, it also has extra/bonus lessons such as synthetic division, etc.

If you're not failing Math, then the book we have is generally okay, just go over the problems more! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Mathematics Higher Level (Core) by Fabio Cirrito is a bit heavy - literally and content wise. Contains much more than you need to pass well. But overall OK. Looked at Higher Level Mathematics for the IB Diploma by Ibrahim Wazir. Good first impression. Recently found Vectors: IBH Topic 5 by Steven Clarke on Amazon. Very clear examples and good questions. But only covers one topic - couldn't find any more online.

• 3 months later...

We use "introduction to Pure Mathematics" by Garry Wiseman and Robert Smedley, And "Further Pure mathematics" by Mark and Brian Gaulter

They contain loads of exercises, and some really hairy ones. The explanations require you to be really familiar with Mathematic Notation but I would still recommend it, since you can be certain that the problems included in the book will be just as hard or harder then the ones you get in your exams.

Edited by nudie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Use the IBID Fabio Cirrito book. Its very good to follow and it also has very good cross reference sheet consisting of the question numbers, in the book. That's very helpful for the HL students, because those specially mentioned questions enhance your thinking skills.

Edited by taknev

• 1 month later...