English IOP Help

yahzuk

Hi,

I've just begun the IB and in two weeks I have to do my IOP... I haven't even finished the book yet (Brave New World by Aldous Huxley) and now I have to commit to 15% of my overall grade.

Can anyone give me some advice on how you began your preparations and how you decided which area to focus on?

The cyllabus says you can do a number of activities like an oral expose, role play, or structured discussion.

Which one did you do? Which one is the best option?

Plus has anyone studied this novel and can give me some advice?

Thanks so much.

you have to do 10 minutes of presenting and 5 minutes of discussion (or was it 15 and 5? I can't remember) I find it difficult to stand and just talk for 10 minutes straight about a certain topic which is why I got a 4 in my Oral :sadnod: back to the point though, I think if you have some creativity in your body you should try and write a play of some sort and adopt the writer's style in it and portray the themes you want to discuss. then have the audience ask questions about it and discuss it further. you can also write a monologue?

if you can stand and talk for 10/15 minutes, then just treat it like you treat paper 2, structure your argument into introduction, ideas +examples for the body and then your conclusion...

I haven't read the book sorry :)

Why is your school doing the IOP so early? I've never heard of a school doing an actual assessment at the very start of IB1 :P

From my own experience, oral expose's are the 'safe' option, in that you are basically just reading out an essay; choose a topic, have a these/intro/points/quotes/conclusion etc. If you are unsure then they are probably the best option

The others are usually more risky but can be a lot more entertaining, although you have to be really creative and know the text quite well for the role play and a structured discussion relies to some extent on your classmates.

I would advise that you firstly finish reading the book, because you just won't do well unless you do this. Then look for a theme or a symbol/motif or character you want to talk about, and start to make up a speech around that (this is presuming you do an oral expose of course)

Good Luck, I can't believe your school would be so harsh as to have the IOP at the start of IB1 :S

You talk about something for 10-15 minutes, so it has to be narrow. You can talk about basically anything, you can even compare to another book if you want to. But take something you feel that you know, and prepare a presentation about it. Make sure it is structured, with a clear introduction/conclusion, examples and everything. Reading the criteria is also a good start. Brave New World is a very good book, and there's a lot to talk about.

:S