IB in one word?

rabyl123

Superfluous. I feel many aspects of IB are just added to make it seem more complex than it really is.

Well,..? can you be more specific?

CAS and TOK, and possibly the sixth subject group, although I do love my Visual Arts class. I feel these do not actively contribute to the "international education" IB stands for.

CAS, at least for my school and from my point of view, is just doing whatever you can do to earn the advisor's signature without giving up too much of the student's time. Some students do care for their activities, but very few will confirm that they enjoy spending their day doing whatever they do for CAS. Most do simplistic activities to earn hours without actually gaining the experience I see/hear/read other IB students discuss.

TOK is the definition of superfluous.

As for the sixth subject, I would have loved to have tkane an additional subject in the other areas, but my school was against it. I feel as though these subjects (Visual Arts, Music, Film, Dance(?)) cannot be objectively graded for the exams, and would involve varied scores/marks if more than one examiner were to be shown the same student's work/material in that particular subject. Whereas you need to know this, this, and this for Biology to earn the full marks, the same cannot be said for Visual Arts. My teacher constantly says there's no "sure way" to earn a 7, and those that have, have been the most arbitrary.

Edited by elmar

sadatovappy

IB made me sad and depressed mos of the time, I hated most of the time. The messed up thing is..I just loved the challenge and at weird time, it just made me happy I am doing IB. IB evilly makes you hate it more than anything, yet just love it..and can't quite.

That's my description of IB in one word. :P

• Like 1

useless

i just graduated with an IB diploma with a total of 42 and I've started college. i was very enthusiastic because i was going to get a significant amount of credits. well, it turns out that almost all of my possible credits were useless to me and none of them helped towards my major. number 2, as I am attending Texas A&M university right now, i find my self questioning: Would it really be different for me had I not done IB? I am just as intelligent (if not less) than most of my class mates and they have all done the regular "High School Diploma," which most people feel is inferior to any other educational system for some reason. From what I can see so far, I dont think that I have gained a so called "advantage" over my peers by taking the IB. If anything, I feel disadvantaged because I have wasted two years of my life just studying while my peers are more "fresh" if you will, and ready to take on a more meaningful challenge, getting an actual college degree.

useless

i just graduated with an IB diploma with a total of 42 and I've started college. i was very enthusiastic because i was going to get a significant amount of credits. well, it turns out that almost all of my possible credits were useless to me and none of them helped towards my major. number 2, as I am attending Texas A&M university right now, i find my self questioning: Would it really be different for me had I not done IB? I am just as intelligent (if not less) than most of my class mates and they have all done the regular "High School Diploma," which most people feel is inferior to any other educational system for some reason. From what I can see so far, I dont think that I have gained a so called "advantage" over my peers by taking the IB. If anything, I feel disadvantaged because I have wasted two years of my life just studying while my peers are more "fresh" if you will, and ready to take on a more meaningful challenge, getting an actual college degree.

Congratulations on getting 42 points, and getting into a great school.

IB in one word, I would also have to say: difficult

While the work isn't hard, the problem is that there is so much of it. Math Portfolio's, IA's, TOK essay, Oral Exams, World Lit, Exams, and worst of all, the EE. Sometimes, (while I love some aspects of IB) I wish I would have just taken a whole bunch of AP or Dual Enrollment classes.-(A mixture of separate High school and college classes)

Edited by JoeGuff

• 4 months later...