IB Survival

mel129

I was conducting research for my prescribed topics for my TOK essay and I found this website. I found it to be very useful and it changed my thinking about doing certain topics because of how available finding enough evidence for the topic would be. My question is, would the information from this site be considered plagarism? Although much of my paper is still my own ideas and examples, I feel that if my examiner is a member of this community, they may not think the same. I posed this question to my teacher today and after him thinking about it and asking his department head, he still wasn't sure. His advice was to create this post and see what this community has to offer. My biggest fear is that because of the information that I have read and what is available to me, it will look as though my paper wasn't my own idea.

If you're not copying and pasting information from forum posts into your essay, I can't see how it's going to count as plagiarism.

Even taking ideas from the forum is a form of inspiration. If you read a book and then choose to write your essay on some of the themes presented in the book, would you think that your essay is plagiarized because you wrote about the book?

Expanding upon Aboo's post, You shouldn't get marked down for plagiarism. As has been stated many times before, if you copy text or a phrase without changing a lot from this site the IB Plagiarism Software may count it as plagirism, but concept inspiration should be fine. Your paper can be inspired and still be your work and your idea.