ITGS Topic, Nanotechnology

pascal95d

Hello i'm new to this forum so apologies if I shouldn't be posting this here!, i'm currently doing my extended essay in ITGS, I recently had a topic on nanotechnology and its use with motor nerve disorder victims, however I realised that this topic has already been use in other places and is reccomended in the IB guide, I was also finding it hard to come up with content. As a result I decided to change my title to

"Ethical issues surrounding nanotechnology", however I am unsure as to whether this title is too broad and needs to be broken down.

Also whilst doing research across the internet I saw that data is required for the EE, is data compulsary ?

Thanks

Edited by pascal95d

Hello i'm new to this forum so apologies if I shouldn't be posting this here!, i'm currently doing my extended essay in ITGS, I recently had a topic on nanotechnology and its use with motor nerve disorder victims, however I realised that this topic has already been use in other places and is reccomended in the IB guide, I was also finding it hard to come up with content. As a result I decided to change my title to

"Ethical issues surrounding nanotechnology", however I am unsure as to whether this title is too broad and needs to be broken down.

Also whilst doing research across the internet I saw that data is required for the EE, is data compulsary ?

Thanks

I don't take ITGS, I don't know anything about it, but if you read the subject specific criteria for ITGS I guess that should be stated there. The title sounds a bit to broad, but don't worry, you could narrow ir down as you go along.

• Like 1

Thanks

The title is definitely too broad, for an extended essay in any subject, you need a clearly stated and focused research questions. We can't give you an exact topic, but just looking at the question without any knowledge of ITGS I can pose some questions:

What aspects of nanotechnology are you talking about?

What do you mean by ethical issues? You should restate this; instead of just saying "Ethical issues", you should specify some of the issues that you are going to examine.

I don't know some of the ITGS specific rules regarding extended essays so I suggest you consult the extended essay guide for more information as to if this particular topic is suitable.

EDIT:

After a quick google search I turned up this: http://www.dendesigns.com/Downloads/DPITGS/ExtendedEssay/Extended%20Essay%20in%20ITGS.pdf

In the choice of topic section it states that the focus of the essay should be "applying IT theory, tools and techniques". With your current topic, is there enough room to show evidence of this? Do you think that after narrowing down the research question there will be enough primary data (There is a risk of this essay becoming too "narrative" and relying too heavily on secondary data)? Can this question demonstrate "accurately used IT terminology"?

These are some of the questions that you should be asking yourself whilst you're developing your research question.

Edited by Sublime Sunshine
  • Like 1