Doing Assignments at the last minute?

iownnoobsi

I need that last minute thrill, because when i start early there's nothing really pushing or motivating me. i always have a couple of notes about a week or so before the assignment is due, then i just start it at like 7:30/8 the night before. I usually can get away with this, but now im in gr 12 and im trying to get good predicted marks. any tips, or even empathy for that matter from someone thats been through this?

Haha, I have that feeling for exams. Which is a disaster! But can't help it!

I know how you're feeling, everytime you say ok, this is the last time I am doing this, next time I'll start early..next time comes and it's the same thing.

I can't do that with IAs, I just do it with exams. Try thinking about it this way:

That if you start early, you will have more time to do it and you can still get that rush at the end, because nothing can be perfect. I remember starting my Math IAs the day it was given and work on it everyday yet still get that rush at the end.

You can also start working on it from the beginning by doing a little bit every time and leaving some to the last night if you like that rush, at least you will be going crazy on it yet have most of it done.

It worked in IGCSE and IB1 but it didn't work in IB2!

First of all, you need to have a feeling in your mind that you realise that you must finish your work in time. A motivation. You have to feel that it is an obligation for you. You must focus to the IBDP, and not bother about your leisure time.

If your mindset has already been changed, you must do things in time! It's not easy to do when you have started a term, but when you start a new term, once you get a HW, do it straightaway! Even though it is due next week! Let's say you have 3 HW due this week, 1 HW due next week. Finish the 3 HW first, and the next week one should be able to be done the next day. That's it.

On weekend, start doing your HW on friday night. Then, dedicate all your saturday for HW again. This way you could finish all the HW even before sunday and finally you can rest or have fun on sunday.

The same thing works on each day. Let's say you get home at 4. Rest a while and take a shower at 5 maybe. Then do your HW straightaway. Have dinner at 7, then do HW again. If you finish it earlier, at the night you can get more time to rest/sleep. Or if you are still burning, you can do the HW due latter, so you have less for tomorrow. Who knows if all your teachers will suddenly give HW the next day which make you canot finish the older one?

Be motivated, concentrate and enjoy it!

• Like 1

I think most people have gone through this at some point (including me), so you're not alone...

Think of it this way: if you save it for the last minute, then you'll be rushing to finish it in time! Why rush to finish it when you can take your time, check everything over, and feel calm rather than panicky and trying to slap it together late at night when you're not functioning that well anyways. You could even find your assignments more enjoyable if you have time to think about the results and why they are the way they are :rofl:

This sounds just like me... But lately I've been trying to motivate myself to do my work on time... Except it isn't really working... I mean I left my IA in Business to do over the weekend, but that's just because I have a retarded Business teacher who can't motivate us... as well as my EE, so I really have to work on it when I get my rough draft back because its 4000 words of BS... But otherwise, start working ahead and you'll realize how amazing it feels to be on top of your work. Believe me, THAT will be your motivation.

GOOD LUCK! :yes:

Yes, I also agree with the above comments. I sometimes fall into this pattern even though I hate myself for it, but I will not let this happen to my and my EE (it's due in a month :yes:)

Even though I sometimes wait until the last minute for assignments, I usually try to get it done at least a day before the deadline so I can rest the day before. I'm trying to do this with my Math IA, and it's coming along very well, and I'm actually enjoying the assignment.

For studying, depending on the subject of the test, (and how much it counts for) I try to start studying at least 2 or three days before.

Lol I got through IGCSE, IB1, and - so far - IB2 successfully (sort of) with this strategy. But you have to pay attention in class and be able to write an EE in one night..

This is exactly what I'm doing. I wrote my history IA in one night, EE in one night, didn't study for my history SL exam (stupid, don't do it). And now in IB2 (I'm assuming this is THE last year of IB? I don't know all this terminology apparently) it seems to have become loads easier than before and I'm also not worrying as much, yet tonight I still have math homework to do, an A1 Language oral commentary over Shakespeare wednesday, a math IA prospectus due like thursday, and another EE draft due monday...but still not worrying o.O

Lol I got through IGCSE, IB1, and - so far - IB2 successfully (sort of) with this strategy. But you have to pay attention in class and be able to write an EE in one night..

This is exactly what I'm doing. I wrote my history IA in one night, EE in one night, didn't study for my history SL exam (stupid, don't do it). And now in IB2 (I'm assuming this is THE last year of IB? I don't know all this terminology apparently) it seems to have become loads easier than before and I'm also not worrying as much, yet tonight I still have math homework to do, an A1 Language oral commentary over Shakespeare wednesday, a math IA prospectus due like thursday, and another EE draft due monday...but still not worrying o.O

Definitely opposite here. I do everything weeks in advance. Bio objectives, the next sections get done the day after the test of the previous section. My stress level is high enough as it is. ^^^^ he'll vouch for me.

Definitely opposite here. I do everything weeks in advance. Bio objectives, the next sections get done the day after the test of the previous section. My stress level is high enough as it is. ^^^^ he'll vouch for me.

You just need to go meditate more. Guess it's just everyones preference of when they want to get stuff done. I've always slacked through school, love to learn, hate to do all the homework for "practice". That's my current problem with SL math, we're doing stuff that we all learned already, some stuff as far back as...4 years ago for me and most of us there.

You just need to go meditate more. Guess it's just everyones preference of when they want to get stuff done. I've always slacked through school, love to learn, hate to do all the homework for "practice". That's my current problem with SL math, we're doing stuff that we all learned already, some stuff as far back as...4 years ago for me and most of us there.

This is completely ironic as I meditate like everyday. I guess I'm not focusing on the right things. Although I think the stress helps me to do well.

Guest Red XII

I think it differs from person to person whether you'll be able to get high marks and keep procrastinating.

I have a major case of senioritis (and have had it since second semester junior year 0_o), and I'm still getting high marks even though I do just about every IB assignment the night before (including EE - our rough draft is due tomorrow and I'm at a grand total of zero words).

Regular homework (i.e. stuff that's not graded as an IB assessment) I tend to either A. do the night before, B. do the class before, or C. do at lunch.

Some people can get away with this, others can't.

You'll figure out whether or not you can get away with it fairly quickly.