What are books that you have had to read for school that you absolutely hate?

JoeG

Glad to see someone shares my deep dislike of Julius Caesar. :) We just read it in class and I couldn't help but fall asleep every time she put that tape on. I really couldn't find anything in the play to interest me and I'm pretty sure as a result of my dozing off in class, I did poorly on the test we had.

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller: Read it last year! Freaking hated it!!!

And Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, just finished it this week, was so difficult to concentrate.

Haha, I'm reading Sargasso right now as well. I don't find it that bad, although her style is very misty-eyed and meandering, and I could almost tell no difference between the voice of Rochester and that of Antoinette.

Hmmm... if you have problems falling asleep or insomnia or something like that then I would recommend you to read Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky that I'm reading and I guarantee that you are going to fall asleep after few pages because the book is generally boring but there are few interesting ideas and once you read it you are going to get it all... after 600 pages it starts to make sense... :D

• 5 weeks later...

Kensuke's Kingdom

Skellig

Twelfth Night

Macbeth

Stone Cold

Animal Farm

Basically, a majority of the books I had to read for school.

I didn't particularly hate them, but I remembered thinking that reading those books were such a chore.

And the Shakespeare plays are better performed anyway.

Siddhartha was terrible.

The Great Gatsby was terrible. I know so many people liked it, but for me, no. I thought it was awful.

I didn't like A Scarlet Letter either.

And Crime and Punishment was just so long, it was ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. Ugh.

I mean, I appreciate the text's importance historically and all, but I just didn't enjoy reading it.

With most texts we do in class, I enjoy dissecting and inspecting them - looking at the fine details of the author's work etc. And later on, I'll proudly put it on my bookshelf. But this was just such a boring process for BLCS and I'm just glad I never have to pick that book up again :)

• Like 1

100 Years of Solitude is messed up and just plain wrong. on top of that the writing is horrible, and the parts that were remotely interesting to me were more or less skipped over completely with only a like a page dedicated to them, while things that I would rather not read about, like incest, were expanded on so much I felt like burning the book and accepting zero marks for all related assignments. I've never hated a book this much in my life.