What are books that you have had to read for school that you absolutely hate?

JoeG

• 1 month later...

Nearly all the books we read for English HL.

:coffee:

Kitchen by Yoshimoto was really bad. Basically her grandma dies and so she goes and describes kitchens for a hundred pages and then a teenage naivety relationship occurs.

And a thousand cranes by Kawabata was boring too! it's about 20 year old guys have affairs with 50 year old women who commit suicide and who used to have affairs with his father.

Ugh IB

I've recently had to read the colour purple written by Alice Walker, I really felt it wasn't contemporary at all and the way Walker wrote the main character's dialogue was really annoying to read...

That's interesting, I actually really enjoyed The Colour Purple. I'm not sure why.

I haven't really hated any of the books that we've had to read for school. :)

Although it was a pre-DP book, my teacher made us read Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. It was super boring, and to be honest, I only read the third (and shortest!) chapter :P

I remember trying to get through that when I was 12 or 13; only got about halfway through.

The worst book I've read in high school was The Hour of the Star. The book is just a pile of self-indulgent, meaningless, nihilistic, post-modernist crap that is neither artistic nor innovative. In fact, the voice that the author (who I don't care enough about to remember) chose to use actually diminishes the important socio-economic message that should have been prominent in the work, and instead dulls the impact that such a theme should have had.

What everyone chose as their worst read books I agree on, but Tom Sawyer, without a doubt, is the worst book ever. Reading about a kid doing normal things for 200pages just eats at your brain. I actually liked the iliad and the odyssey. Greek tragedies are ok, I would read Antigone and Julio Caesar over Tom anyday.

But that is my opinion and ya'll probably think I'm a lunny.

1. I love Chronicle of a Death Foretold is awesome.

2. The book that I've hated the most was one we read in spanish... "Sobre Literatura" - Humberto Eco.

IT SUCKS WAY HARD. It just basically speaks in 200 pages about what is literature, what is its origin and different influences certain things have had on it. SO. YEAH. BORING AS HELL.

Out of all the books I read, I think that Crispin by Avi was one of the worst I have read. The plot was great but how he wrote was just plain boring. I also didn't really like reading Lord of the Flies this year either. It's just about kids got stranded on an island, try to keep order but failed, fight each other to the death until they just unexpectedly runs into a rescue helicopter. Sure the story was meaning full and full of themes and motifs, I just wish the school would give us something other than people killing each other. But that's just me.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold -_-.

To be honest, it wasn't bad. It was just somewhat confusing because the events weren't listed in chronological order. But other than that, it was pretty good :)

And I even did my World Literature paper on that one :P

Oh I could talk about this all day coffee.gif...

I hated Love in the Time of Cholera... absolutely terrible book. I used it for my WL1 and didn't even finish it, because I just couldn't get through it.

The Crucible was also pretty horrible. My school seems to just choose the most boring books they can find. Oh, and Heart of Darkness. I've now read it three times to date.. could I tell you anything about it? No. It seems to just go in one ear, and out the other. Terrible! sadnod.gif

• Like 1

Brave New World and Lord of the Flies. And I'm not saying that the books themselves are bad, because I admit their value as classics, but they didn't please my personal taste and I hated the way the teacher tried to force me to admire them. If I could just read it and leave it - fine, I have nothing against them. But listening to how amazing they are, while I felt sick reading them was quite torturous.

• 1 month later...

I actually found Grapes of Wrath to be a very thought-provoking read. Also The Metamorphosis is one of my favourite trippy books. I read when I'm down in life to remind myself, at least I'm not a bug who led an even worse life before turning into a bug. That book is my practice in uninhibited narcissism.

The books I hated the most were Midnight Children by Salman Rushdie and Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. The former is a death sentence to read. The latter though not patently gag-worthy, just did not capture my interest and the ennui it inspired sealed my dislike for it.

• 2 weeks later...