IB accused of being "anti-american"

jo2009

Has anyone seen these articles?

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/006/edwatch/4-7-ib-why.htm

http://www.edwatch.org/updates07/021907-terror.htm

http://www.edwatch.org/updates07/031707-IB.htm

I find this quite funny, kind of scary... but also very hypocritical. It says the IB forces views on its students, yet these people and this article is saying that we should teach children the views that are in line with the American government...

I don't think that the IB 'forces' views on its pupils, I just think it teaches us, at least at my school, to question authority, rather than just believe everything the news/government tells us. I don't think that's such a bad thing...

Opinions?

Further reading list :bawling:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?...ic=4828&hl=

http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?...ic=1255&hl=

Edited by Ruan Chun Xian

I have a feeling who ever wrote the first article is a republican :bawling: and he's an idiot, he concludes that the IBO "rejects" all 12 of the deceleration of independence. Here's an independent thought for you buddy, how about you chose whether you want to bring up your kid as zombie or an intellectualist. My point being, you or your child will be the one making the choice if they want to be global thinkers or "US citizens". Don't even get me started on Citizenship! I'll throw all of Joke Hermes's bull**** at you (reading 14 pages of a German lady blabbering on about Citizenship finally came in handy :) who would've thought hahaha)

Anyway, he's making it sound like the IBO is enforced on all students/educational systems in the US. Well genius here's another idea for ya, IBO has such high fees and is not accessible to the public as much as what ever **** you call the US system is! so students in the US who are actually doing IB are either on scholarships they've applied and sat on the edge of their seats waiting for or have a very rich mommy and daddy who will end up sending them to expensive higher education systems anyway (this does make IBO sound very class discriminant, but it is quite inevitable that it is this way). So this "US Citizenship" he's talking about that sounds a bit like the ideologies of Stalin and good ole Adolf back in the day.

in conclusion: what an idiot.

I'd read the other two articles, but I have better things to do with my time.

wow! I haven't heard about. I think somebody really must hated IB :) There are hundreds of scary, fanatic people in this world... For me it's just sad that people lose their energy on something like this, they see what they want to and later wrote stuff like that, when they could been doing instead something more positive and helpful for the society :bawling:

My god, some people have way too much time on their hands. Like Harmonic said... what could he have been doing instead of bahsing the education of a bunch of teeny boppers?

Hahaha, maybe kind of off topic, but my IB History Teacher made a huge poster at the front of the room that reads: This course isn't anti-American. It's the TRUTH.

...so students in the US who are actually doing IB are either on scholarships they've applied and sat on the edge of their seats waiting for or have a very rich mommy and daddy who will end up sending them to expensive higher education systems anyway (this does make IBO sound very class discriminant, but it is quite inevitable that it is this way). So this "US Citizenship" he's talking about that sounds a bit like the ideologies of Stalin and good ole Adolf back in the day.

in conclusion: what an idiot.

I'd read the other two articles, but I have better things to do with my time.

Well although I agree with what everyone here is saying, and yes the person who wrote the article is stupid, I mean his writing is horrible!, I didn't know about what you said about the schoolarships to get into IB :bawling: At least in our area, about 4 IB schools, you don't need much to get into IB. There's about 200 spots a year and to get in all you need is an average of C in most classes and after that it's a lottery, most people get in anyways though. THIS is why there's been all this talk in the US about IB being UnAmerican...IB is simply becoming the "normal" educational path most kids are taking around here and some idiots like this guy aren't liking the idea of America changing from its traditional way of education to the modern way...I mean, he IS republican and this is the idea of republicans, no change, down with abortion and praise god :)

Oh and in our school the newspaper made an article on the Pittsburgh situation were they banned IB saying it had communist ideas, which is just the republicans again screaming for progress to come to a halt because if not then America would be too good a place to live (and no America is not as good as everyone thinks, maybe better than in some places but we still have a lot of problems, one is very hairy named Bush)

But ya, down with the IB haters!!

oi I'm an IB hater don't get me wrong, I think their marking system is ****ed! lol :) (yes it is because of my ugly 4 in art HL) but I knew the bastard was a republican! :bawling: I didn't really know, but it was just a gut feeling you know :) and the fact that he sounded like an idiot!

OMG OMG, it's a whole entire website against the IB:

http://www.responsible-ed.org/

"Citizens for RESPONSIBLE education"

The thing that really pisses me off about this, is how hypocritical it is. They claim that the IB is a 'threat' to our security. ALL IB DOES IS TEACH YOU HOW TO QUESTION THINGS, you annoying dip****s!

Also, that guy is probably just annoyed because he got kicked out IB/ failed IB as a kid, and now he's dedicating his life to decimating it.

But yeah, they are probably right. How dare the INTERNATIONAL baccalaureate have wordly views! And teach our children languages other than American!

my gosh, am I weird for finding that website like some kind of sick and funny parody?

I loved this part.

IBO’s clearly announced goal is to give students an international “orientation” as distinguished from what -- an American orientation? Its stated purpose is to make students “activists”. For what international cause exactly? What kind of activist a student decides to become ought to be decided when he or she has gotten some education not while beginning to be educated. They are merely being propagandized.

-- Raymond L. Richman, J. D., Ph. D. The International Baccalaureate Agenda (http://www.responsible-ed.org/outside%20expert%20opinion.htm)

Oh um, let me think..um...FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOU. :bawling:

I also just love how bias their FAQ is. They really know how to prove their point by bolding words. I'm so showing this to some others I know :)

Okay, I shouldn't be allowed to write anything more now. It's extremely late for me and I can't be held responsible for any other insane action I might be doing.... :)

Edited by Afterglow

Furthermore IB is unpopular in general. There are only 35 of the full programs in the entire US! There are only 17 IB Programs of any kind in Pennsylvania and that is including public and private schools. After careful consideration other school districts have also determined that the disadvantages far outweigh any advantages. The more popular AP program can easily replace the IB Diploma program for those students seeking this level of instruction.

Har har. Unpopular? Go figure

Currently in K-12 there are around 650 students enrolled in IB. The experience is that these numbers drop as the students progress through middle school and drastically when they reach the high school. The 9th grade class is only 38 students and that will continue to decline as students reach the 11th grade. The IB Diploma Program in the 11th and 12th grades has graduated only a handful of students since its inception in 1999. The tiny class sizes (4-10 students in some classes) make it expensive and necessitate an uneven and unfair distribution of resources.

Um... har har? There has been half a million students who's done IB. Go whine in a lake.

In fact when the program was started in 1999, teachers who went to IB schools to receive an orientation and training in the program remarked that they saw little to no difference between IB and what they were already doing in their classrooms.

Oh no the IB is EDUCATING THE PEOPLE. Kill them!

<p align="justify"><b><font face="Arial" size="4">1.  </font>
<font face="Arial"><blink>
<font size="4">
What was the process to phase out the IB program?</font></blink></font></b></p>

OKAY NOW THIS IS GETTING PERSONAL. THAT IS THE WORST CODING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE

Oh, and much more:

Why International Baccalaureate (IB) is un-American

1. International Baccalaureate (IB) is and international system of education. It is run by a non-governmental organization called the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.

AKA because it's not ran by Americans?

2. International Baccalaureate promotes world citizenship. The web site quoted just above says: “The IB curriculum encourages students to think globally.” Dr. Ian Hill, Deputy Director of IBO, has said that the goal of IBO is the promotion of “world citizenship.” Either United States citizenship or “world citizenship” must have priority in our education program. Which will it be? IB gives priority to world citizenship.

Cry me a river. Like promoting American citizenship and your patriotism **** is good? Too much nationalism is another way of being arrogant and racist.

3. International Baccalaureate views state education standards as being subservient to, and interpreted by, the worldview of IB.

Come again? What's so bad about learning something in the standards of the international community? I don't want to be stuck to my state education, because I know they have their biases.

4. International Baccalaureate endorses the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights [uDHR]. As is stated in the IBO article “Myths and Facts.”

Oh no! The UN is a conspiracy! If you Add "CO" before the letter "N" and take away the "U", then add "spiracy" to the end.... OH MY GOD IT'S TRUE

Edited by Dooga

Hi There! New member here! Have any of you read any of John Tomkinson's books? He is obviously anti-American and it is an IB approved book! I mean he didn't even get the year right of the 9/11 attacks!

I nearly fell off my chair with this comment:

Math Studies curriculum explores problems concerning the weather, environmental protection, conservation, and energy. . . The statistics unit will examine a variety of problems from a global perspective, such as the disparity of wealth distribution between first and third world countries.

How much math are students learning as they study wealth distribution? (They are actually learning Marxist ideology in math class.)

Is wealth distribution not statistics? Perhaps we should study American wealth distribution. Though, with their logic, that would make the IBO a terrorist organization, seeing that they feel that the wealth distribution between first and thrid world countries is Marxist :-D !

Hi There! New member here! Have any of you read any of John Tomkinson's books? He is obviously anti-American and it is an IB approved book! I mean he didn't even get the year right of the 9/11 attacks!

First of all, we're talking about one book, ONE, not many. The book list is composed of a million books. Furthermore, having a book in the curriculum doesn't mean that IBO agrees with the message of the book...

• 4 weeks later...
In regard to that, I would say that the US universities are being anti-IB much more than IB is being anti-american. But at the same time there are places like Cornell which do like IB students

school in the US are becoming more acceptigng of IB. the school ia m going to next years actually got copies f the test and sat down and analyzed then to decide how much credit they would give for each.

hearing them say they are anti- IB is so frustrating. i would have gotten one crappy educatrion if it hadn't have been for IB, and i would have never have become bilingual!!!

Guest chocomaniac

wow. the article is totally overreading the ib program. although, i really don't care that much about ib its pretty retarded that people would accuse ib of being communist and un-american.