Abosolute Zero Graphing Lab

Grumps

We did this series of experiments where we manipulated Pressure, Volume, and Temperature. Each of the three experiments had one of those variables constant. So now we have to do a lab on it and no one knows what to do. Our teacher said to make 9 graphs, each combo of the three variables in each experiment, and continue the line to zero Kelvins. But that doesn't really make sense to me. Wouldn't someof those just be straight lines? Wouldn't a bunch of them not pass through 0? How can you extrapolate when it's so far away from the trials you did? I asked all my friends and all I got were mixed, uncertain, and contradictory answers.

It seems to me that you only need 3 graphs: your independent versus dependent variables for each experiment. Furthermore, the one with constant temperature wouldn't tell you anything about absolute zero. So the only two graphs you need to look at are for P vs. T (with volume constant), and V vs. T (with pressure constant). Extrapolating the lines is fairly easily done on graphs in Excel, which will display the equation, from which you can find your axis intercepts.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot, that's seems like most logical course of action.

But... Truth be told I am actually pretty late on this assignment, and everyone else handed theirs in already, and I think they did something similar to that but our teacher got really pissed. Is there any conceivable reason for needing more graphs? I am quite sure she said "9 graphs".

But I don't think be teacher is stupid or illogical, so maybe I misheard. I think that if I find no other answer I will do it as you said.

Could you possibly use 9 graphs, but in the same way Mattqat put it. 3x3. 3 graphs like you were thinking each with its own constant, then 3 more graphs with different constants.

In other words, three graphs where temp is constant, but at 3 different measurements. Then three more with three different constant pressures (different constant pressures...wow never would expect that to actually make sense) and then the other three.