Help forming a research question from a topic :O

IB no sleep

Hi guys, just a little question for my extended essay. I am going to write about Racism in European (possibly just international) Football, and can't seem to come up with a research question. I don't know if I want to write it in the Human Rights category or Cultural and Social Anthropology...Please help me decide which is better. Any additional help would be appreciated :)

Thank you!

I am not sure, but I would say human rights since your main idea is racism.

Map your ideas and decide the exact things you're researching on, then that will help you to come up with a research question since we can't really give it to you.

Just in case you didn't do research yet...I want to give an example you can use.

French football:

The fact that there are 3 north african players (2 algerians, 1 tunisian) that are considered the top players/scorers in the french league in 2008-2009-2010, i.e from the year of Euro2008. The french coach did not bother to include the top players in the league in the matches of Euro2008, except one was allowed to play for a few minutes, then he was replaced. However in 2010, prior to the World Cup, news came out that Raymond Domenech is not even considering the 3 players in the 22 players he's taking with him to South Africa, which was very weird. The media was all about this because not taking the 3 top players in the league one of which plays in REAL MADRID..kind of doesn't make sense. Almost everyone agreed that Domenech was being racist because he has no other reason to not include these 3 players. Bear in mind, they are french citizen, just originally north african.

That's the example I know, and I really like your topic. :)

Good luck.

I am not sure, but I would say human rights since your main idea is racism.

Map your ideas and decide the exact things you're researching on, then that will help you to come up with a research question since we can't really give it to you.

Just in case you didn't do research yet...I want to give an example you can use.

French football:

The fact that there are 3 north african players (2 algerians, 1 tunisian) that are considered the top players/scorers in the french league in 2008-2009-2010, i.e from the year of Euro2008. The french coach did not bother to include the top players in the league in the matches of Euro2008, except one was allowed to play for a few minutes, then he was replaced. However in 2010, prior to the World Cup, news came out that Raymond Domenech is not even considering the 3 players in the 22 players he's taking with him to South Africa, which was very weird. The media was all about this because not taking the 3 top players in the league one of which plays in REAL MADRID..kind of doesn't make sense. Almost everyone agreed that Domenech was being racist because he has no other reason to not include these 3 players. Bear in mind, they are french citizen, just originally north african.

That's the example I know, and I really like your topic.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response! The funny thing is, I was going to talk about french football! I am from France, which makes it even better :)

I was just wondering though, can I write about what is done to keep racism out of football, like Stand Up, Speak Up, or other organizations that are helping the cause?

Thank you ! :S

• 5 months later...

I also have a similar question. I'm writing about Adaptation from Literature to Film (an IB Film EE), and I have no idea how to go about forming a research question. What should the question be asking? Is my thesis the answer to the research question? Can I have an example research question?? Or is that not allowed?

Have you read the EE Guide? If you haven't, you can get a copy here

Read it, especially the subject specific (Film) section. If you still don't understand you can ask again here.

Anyhow, your question is asking whatever you are investigating in your EE. Your thesis is not the answer to your RQ. Your essay IS the answer to your RQ. The example RQ can be found in the EE Guide. :)

PS. if you still have any question just ask again