Sign in to follow this  

Between Economics and Chemistry, which have the biggest difficulty difference between high level and standard level?

As the topic says, between economics and Chemistry, which have the biggest difficulty difference between high level and standard level?

I am having difficulties choosing my subjects, and it is about time find out. I'm am gonna have both of the subjects, but only one of them in higher level, which should i choose based on the amount of work demanded

Thanks, Magnus.

As the topic says, between economics and Chemistry, which have the biggest difficulty difference between high level and standard level?

I am having difficulties choosing my subjects, and it is about time find out. I'm am gonna have both of the subjects, but only one of them in higher level, which should i choose based on the amount of work demanded

Thanks, Magnus.

Chemistry, without question.

Well I am more interested in chemistry i think. But does what I am most interested in pay a lot of difference at IB when it comes to the rate of learning? I probably tend to learn chemistry HL more easily then economics HL, but i don't know if that is enough for me to do better in chemistry HL than economics HL...

Definitely chemistry. The SL content is really easy and the hl stuff can go way beyond the heads of even the best in the ib. I would advise you do Economics HL because I heard there is not such a major difference beteen SL and HL. However, if you think that you are going to be more motivated to work at chemistry then do it. I was in the same situation, I could have done HL English A1 or Music HL but I know that I would absolutely hate it and wouldn't have any time, so instead i took Chemistry HL.

Definitely chemistry. The SL content is really easy and the hl stuff can go way beyond the heads of even the best in the ib. I would advise you do Economics HL because I heard there is not such a major difference beteen SL and HL. However, if you think that you are going to be more motivated to work at chemistry then do it. I was in the same situation, I could have done HL English A1 or Music HL but I know that I would absolutely hate it and wouldn't have any time, so instead i took Chemistry HL.

Are Chemistry HL, Physics HL and Math HL the hardest subjects based on your experience?

Edited by Magnus

Well I haven't done every IB subject so I can't really say but doing all three at hl is extremely difficult. Really the only reason I considered it was because I can't do French at HL, Music at HL will take up more time than math, chem, physics hl and as I said, English HL would just be killer for me. I'm also pretty mathematically inclined so that helps, but we'll see, I think it's going to be tougher than I thought.

I would say that Econs HL would be easier than Chem HL. the amount of work you need to put in in Chem HL is much more than in Econs HL. I used to take Chem HL but itwas just too much, I could not cope with it and I thought I would better do Econs HL. however I do not really need it for the course I want to study in uni, so I do not want to take Econs HL.

so anyway, Econ HL and SL are not so big different, SL is very easy and HL is probably easy, too. and it is actually good for SL students to also learn the HL topics so they could evaluate the case studies much better, so I think it would be better to just take Econs HL. it is also worth taking if you want to study business in university.

while in Chemistry, the HL students would learn much more things than the SL students, which might probably kill you if you are not good at it. I myself am finding it quite (or very) confusing and I do not like it.. and the options topic are hard, really. however if you want to study something related to chemistry, say pharmacy or medicine, you should take Chem HL. I do not want to scare you so I should say a lot of people out there are good at Chem and they dare to do HL.

if you want the one with less work, both require effort to be put in. but I think Econs is easier, you simply just need to memorise definitions and understand the concept. after that is just a matter of evaluating.

but you might want to consider whether it goes well with your other subjects. what are your other subjects if I may know?

and what do you want to study in uni? if it is more business related, Econs HL would be better for you. if it is more science related, Chem HL would be better for you.

and do not take a subject which you do not like. let's say you do not like Chem but you feel that you need to do it HL; I would not recommend you to do so. it's torturing, taking a subject you do not like/enjoy. take a subject that you love, and take the ones which are related to the course you want to take in university.

EDIT: I was a really good Chem student last year in IGCSE, I was kind of the best Chem student in my class. I scored an A* anyway, but in IB, I am finding Chem really hard compared to IGCSE (of course! well but the jump is very far) and I really cannot get the concept well. so being good at Chem does not guarantee :P

and anyways, a lot of people commented that Math HL and Phy HL are the hardest HL subjects in IB, but I am subjectively finding my A1 SL as the hardest subject :) Math is still pretty easy for me and for Physics I just need to understand the question and get to know the formula, then I definitely can do it :)

I would say that Econs HL would be easier than Chem HL. the amount of work you need to put in in Chem HL is much more than in Econs HL. I used to take Chem HL but itwas just too much, I could not cope with it and I thought I would better do Econs HL. however I do not really need it for the course I want to study in uni, so I do not want to take Econs HL.

so anyway, Econ HL and SL are not so big different, SL is very easy and HL is probably easy, too. and it is actually good for SL students to also learn the HL topics so they could evaluate the case studies much better, so I think it would be better to just take Econs HL. it is also worth taking if you want to study business in university.

while in Chemistry, the HL students would learn much more things than the SL students, which might probably kill you if you are not good at it. I myself am finding it quite (or very) confusing and I do not like it.. and the options topic are hard, really. however if you want to study something related to chemistry, say pharmacy or medicine, you should take Chem HL. I do not want to scare you so I should say a lot of people out there are good at Chem and they dare to do HL.

if you want the one with less work, both require effort to be put in. but I think Econs is easier, you simply just need to memorise definitions and understand the concept. after that is just a matter of evaluating.

but you might want to consider whether it goes well with your other subjects. what are your other subjects if I may know?

and what do you want to study in uni? if it is more business related, Econs HL would be better for you. if it is more science related, Chem HL would be better for you.

and do not take a subject which you do not like. let's say you do not like Chem but you feel that you need to do it HL; I would not recommend you to do so. it's torturing, taking a subject you do not like/enjoy. take a subject that you love, and take the ones which are related to the course you want to take in university.

I am currently having Physics HL, Economics HL, English HL, Norwegian HL, math SL, Chemistry SL and TOK.

But i am planning to do English B, so i can take the exam this spring, and be done with english next year, getting more time to focus on other subjects. But then i have Physics HL, Economics HL and Norwegian HL left, and the Economic subject is kinda boring. Thats why i am thinking about doing HL Chemistry instead, as that is more tempting than HL economics.

I don' know what i want to study, but my interest these days are science.

Guest Alesalad

In Chemistry, as soon as you have to start calculating things it goes to HL. SL is really easy and just basic knowledge of chemistry where as HL goes into real depth and all topics have a HL extension. In Eco it is often fundamental to know some HL concepts in SL to get good evaulations and understanding.

Conclusion: (Chemistry HL - Chemistry SL) > (Economics HL - Economics SL) :P Perfectly answering your question.

I take Chem HL and Eco SL. Because i like Chemisty alot more and i'de like to carry on with it, so just choose what relates to you and your further study :)

btw I edited the previous reply, please have a look at the EDIT part.

let me give you some opinions. taking A1 HL is not easy and since you said that you are more of the science-oriented person, you probably might want to just do language A1 SL.

English B HL is very important especially if you want to study in a english-speaking-country for uni.

I am just saying, if you are taking Physics HL you must know that you Math must be good also :P all of Phy HL students in my school are taking Math HL. no offense, just saying. in fact it involves a lot of calculation and you need to understand the concept well ok.. but if Math HL is too demanding, just do not take it.

since you seem not to be so interested in Econs, and you are taking Phy HL; Chem HL might now be a good option for you. they go well together and they open up a broader option for you to study (e.g. Engineering courses) they would be very demanding though, because you would need to write lab reports and the way you are supposed to write it can sometimes be challenging also. I am finding it quite hard to manage my time doing 2 lab reports in 1 week while I still have HW from other subjects too.

I am just suggesting you:

Norwegian A1 SL

English B HL

Mathematics SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Economics SL

since you do not like Econs very much, SL would be just easy for you..very easy..

If you're interested in sciences and that's the one that feels like the one you want to do, don't let the opinions of anyone here stop you. If you find a subject interesting then you will be motivated to do well in it, so if you think that Economics HL is going to be boring, you might not want to study for it.

If you try chemistry, you can always drop back to SL if it's too hard can't you?

As long as i have at least three HL subjects, i can change from HL to SL and vice versa in every subject for like one more year or something. But i want to pick my subjects and levels as soon as possible because i dont want to learn HL stuff in every subject as i am not sure which to choose :P

Norwegian SL and HL is almost the same, so it is just easy earned points by doing the HL.

If i do English B HL, do i then get to do the exam at the end of the first year?

Why would the exam be at the end of IB1? I think it might depend on your school. If you notice, some people in this forum in their signature, their subjects selection in IB1 and in IB2. They are probably taking some exams at the end of IB1 and the taking rest at the end of IB2. However, my school and some other schools do not let this to happen, so you might want to check with your school.

Let me say something first. Changing levels FROM HL TO SL would be easy, simple; while changing levels FROM SL TO HL might take time, and it's not as simple. Why? Because if you are initially in HL class, you also learned the SL topics which are the core. While initially in SL class, you did not learn the HL topic

So if you want to play safe, then go for 4 HL and 2 SL first. HL: Norw, Engl, Phy, Chem. SL: Econs, Math.

Good luck