Gay Marriage

ShineeLikeMe

I don't really have anything against gays , but their marriage isn't really something to look forward, I mean, When straight people get married they mostly want having kids and making a family- Not counting sexuality-, but a gay marriage wouldn't have anything to do with kids and family, so it's really not a big deal to ask for.

Your ignorance is filthy.

Hint: gay marriages have lots to do with kids and family.

• Like 2

I don't really have anything against gays , but their marriage isn't really something to look forward, I mean, When straight people get married they mostly want having kids and making a family- Not counting sexuality-, but a gay marriage wouldn't have anything to do with kids and family, so it's really not a big deal to ask for.

Your ignorance is filthy.

Hint: gay marriages have lots to do with kids and family.

Yeah, I have to agree with you Daedalus, that is really ignorant hahaha.

Awww double slammed ;).

To further elaborate Dalia, gay marriage doesn't necessarily have to have children nor does it necessarily have to go without. How many kis are in adoption homes today with parents who don't want them. So mnay gay coupels out there want cihldren and take special needs children even those with birth defects because they are in need of a child of their own. They may not be able to procreate but do we really need any more procreation when there's so many children in adoption as a result of it?

Also many heterosexuals marry for love, not just for procreation. Old people still get married. and sterile people still get married. Should we ban them also or are their marriages worth more?

hey guys, i need ur help plz...

since u're talking about same-sex marriage, i was wondering if anyone can help me relate same-sex marriage to AOK and WOK, because its my topic for my tok presentation.. i knw i can relate it to ethics and religion, but natural science or human science ???

and also help me with the structure of the presentation..

i am desperate pleaseeee help!!! :)

hey guys, i need ur help plz...

since u're talking about same-sex marriage, i was wondering if anyone can help me relate same-sex marriage to AOK and WOK, because its my topic for my tok presentation.. i knw i can relate it to ethics and religion, but natural science or human science ???

and also help me with the structure of the presentation..

i am desperate pleaseeee help!!! -_-

What have you got so far? Then we can help you add to it/improve it! :)

For human sciences, look into psychology. It used to be categorised in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Illness or something like that) as a mental disease/illness. You can talk about how times have changed and it's been realised that it's not --> link to biology and possible factors. Also, in psychology there is the nature/nurture debate. You could therefore introduce possible environmental factors. Now that's all talking about the origins of homosexuality...so I suppose you could then somehow link it to marriage by saying it's a naturally occuring phenomenon or something? In natural sciences obviously bio is the main area...I'm sure wikipedia has heaps of stuff (don't cite wiki though, just use it for a start haha).

By using these areas to discuss possible reasons explaining homosexuality, you can then link it to being natural and then somehow to marriage...otherwise I have no idea how you'd be able to have those two areas of knowledge linked to marriage. Like, biology etc hardly explains marriage :)

Structure wise, it's similar to an essay...but you want to try and either make it more interactive or use more multimedia.

Have you looked in the tok forum/thread? There could be more on this topic there :)

Thanks for the reply :)

concerning what i have so far(which is not a lot) :)

off course i will talk about religion disapproving gay marriage. and natural science like u said it will be mainly biology and the effects of homosexuality on disease (ex:aids).

and natural science from a psychology point of view (if homosexuality is a mental illness or it has been proven that it isn't).

but from an ethical point of view, should i say that gay marriage is ethical or unethical ?? is it a human right to marry whatever we want therefore ethical, or human rights isn't actually related to ethics so it is unethical??why?? I am really confused with the ethical part although i am pretty sure that its strongly related, how, i don't know?

well i hope um clear and u got my question.. would really appreciate any ideas.. -_-

Scroll through the above posts, I think some of them touch on human rights. There's a human rights proclamation that states that marriage is basically for everyone etc - that's the claim, obvious counter claim being religion.

Make sure if you talk about bio/psych that it's strongly linked to your actual topic, being the marriage.

Don't forget to talk about current events if you can - real world examples etc. Maybe include a couple of case studies? Like statistics or news reports etc - youtube would have them. For instance, Australia is currently really debating this question and the majority of the population actually support it, yet the government's still unsure what to do as they will lose a lot of support from their conservative voters. Maybe you could have a brief youtube news clip? Incorporating such would make your presentation more interesting/probs help you get a better mark -_-

I believe that every human being should be treated equally not matter what their economic, social, racial or sexual status is. Allowing gay marriage does not affect me in any way and nothing gives me the right to deny a minority group basic rights which I myself expect to receive without question.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Scroll through the above posts, I think some of them touch on human rights. There's a human rights proclamation that states that marriage is basically for everyone etc - that's the claim, obvious counter claim being religion.

Make sure if you talk about bio/psych that it's strongly linked to your actual topic, being the marriage.

Don't forget to talk about current events if you can - real world examples etc. Maybe include a couple of case studies? Like statistics or news reports etc - youtube would have them. For instance, Australia is currently really debating this question and the majority of the population actually support it, yet the government's still unsure what to do as they will lose a lot of support from their conservative voters. Maybe you could have a brief youtube news clip? Incorporating such would make your presentation more interesting/probs help you get a better mark XD

I really appreciate your replies.. Actually this has helped a lot!

THANK YOUU!! :)

I think that in a society which contains people of many different cultures, beliefs and religions, the law and government has to be secular in order to be fair.

In a secular society taking out of the equation things written in religious texts and considering the biological links to homosexuality there is nothing essentially to object about, although the word 'marriage' is definitely associated with religion, in the UK gay marriages are called civil partnerships. This means that legally they have the same binding effects as a marriage but the church is not involved.

I think it is unfair to take away the legal rights of gay partners. As if they have not been allowed to marry and one of them gets hit by a bus or something the other won't legally have any rights to inheritance, which is not in the best interest of either of the partners.

Heh, I think that our modern society does not truly need religion anymore and I sincerely hope that it will gradually die out. Perhaps we can save the choirs and musical traditions. Apart from that, there's my prediction.

I must agree on the aspect that for any organism outside of asexual reproduction a male must fertilize a female to procreate. However, I come from a very religious family and the bible says do not judge others unless you are judged. So I may understand the biological aspects of the attraction of the same sex however I do not verbally protest against homosexuality even though I believe it is wrong.

Right, essentially all of the people who lobby against homosexuality and cite their religion are wrong. Nowhere in any religious text does it encourage the persecution of homosexuals. On that whole religious can of worms... I love the way there are many 'versions' of the christian bible and... I love the way people believe in such a hateful god that is portrayed in the Old testament.