Chances

Forester

1 minute ago, 41289501 said:

Yeah, you're right. It's mostly my parents who are wanting me to attend 'top universities'. Though I think I'm more serious about applying Stanford and UC Berkeley than other schools my parents 'suggested'. So it was very nice to see that UC Berkeley is my good "match" school. :) I'll look more into different schools and see which one fits me the best. Thank you so much again with your help. 

Sorry I made a little edit, I did come to realize parental or peer pressure may have played a role. Refresh the page and you can see my edited post!

If you're interested in pursuing CS, a lot of state universities offer superior programs than their Ivy League counterparts. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Maryland College Park, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, SUNY Stony Brook, and most of the UCs can also fulfill your academic needs. CS is a hyperselective program -- even more so in those schools, with CS department average SATs/GPA rivalling Ivy League schools --  and you will inevitably find yourself still urrounded by world-class peers.

5 minutes ago, 41289501 said:

Yeah, you're right. It's mostly my parents who are wanting me to attend 'top universities'. Though I think I'm more serious about applying Stanford and UC Berkeley than other schools my parents 'suggested'. So it was very nice to see that UC Berkeley is my good "match" school. :) I'll look more into different schools and see which one fits me the best. Thank you so much again with your help. 

Also my bad, but while your numbers are definitely there for a UC Berkeley admit, it's still going to be a tough process. Being a state school, Californian residents just get the priority and it's not an indictment on your merits.

That said, I've known people who got in with lower numbers, which brings me back to my first point -- show why you would be the best fit for that school and no other schools, and such genuine enthusiasm is what can get you in in place of stellar application components. 

2 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

Also my bad, but while your numbers are definitely there for a UC Berkeley admit, it's still going to be a tough process 😕

Don't get discouraged though, I've known people with lower numbers get in and that brings me back to my first point -- show why you would be the best fit for that school and no other schools, and such genuine enthusiasm is what can get you in in place of stellar application components. 

Thank you! First of all, your post was not aggressive at all. It was something I need to be aware and I feel really thankful about it.

I know that there is no such thing as 100% granted in top schools, and I know there's not a thing that makes me an extremely compelling student compare to other talented people out there. Since my counselor is very unhelpful and the parental pressure is always on me, I just needed some third-person perspective on my chances and preferably, some good advice as well. 

1 minute ago, 41289501 said:

Thank you! First of all, your post was not aggressive at all. It was something I need to be aware and I feel really thankful about it.

I know that there is no such thing as 100% granted in top schools, and I know there's not a thing that makes me an extremely compelling student compare to other talented people out there. Since my counselor is very unhelpful and the parental pressure is always on me, I just needed some third-person perspective on my chances and preferably, some good advice as well. 

My university application process didn't go that great, that said I had an extremely supportive counselor and I've learned a lot in my time afterwards as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions -- I'd be happy to reflect from my own experience and provide advice I wish I had in the past. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Don't know if I will get a reply. Has been a while. 😀

Background

School Type: Small, international, diverse. 

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: Not in the US.

SAT II: Not in the US.

GPA: Not in the US.

IB

Senior year course schedule and predicted grades:

Chemistry SL - 5

Physics HL - 6

Maths HL - 6

English Lang Lit HL - 7

Swedish B SL - 5

Economics HL: 7

I am yet to drop a subject from HL to SL before my final exams. 

Extracurriculars:

1. School Ambassador

2. Certified tennis trainer as well as player. 

3. Chair and delegate in MUN-attended conferences in many countries. 

3. Co-founder and co-CEO of a customised clothing company. 

4. Tedx host, soon to be speaker(once I find a topic I am passionate about)

4. Learning Python

5. Gym enthusiast

Subject of interest:

Business, engineering, or finance. 

Colleges of Interest:

1. MIT

2. Harvard

3. Any other IVYs or Oxbridge. 

Edited by Arjo_ibbbbbb

• 10 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 4:20 AM, Arjo_ibbbbbb said:

Don't know if I will get a reply. Has been a while. 😀

Background

School Type: Small, international, diverse. 

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: Not in the US.

SAT II: Not in the US.

GPA: Not in the US.

IB

Senior year course schedule and predicted grades:

Chemistry SL - 5

Physics HL - 6

Maths HL - 6

English Lang Lit HL - 7

Swedish B SL - 5

Economics HL: 7

I am yet to drop a subject from HL to SL before my final exams. 

Extracurriculars:

1. School Ambassador

2. Certified tennis trainer as well as player. 

3. Chair and delegate in MUN-attended conferences in many countries. 

3. Co-founder and co-CEO of a customised clothing company. 

4. Tedx host, soon to be speaker(once I find a topic I am passionate about)

4. Learning Python

5. Gym enthusiast

Subject of interest:

Business, engineering, or finance. 

Colleges of Interest:

1. MIT

2. Harvard

3. Any other IVYs or Oxbridge. 

no chance of getting in ivy, scores are too les s