Amaaaazing Books?

timtamboy63

• 2 weeks later...

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, I absolutely loved it and it actually required a decent amount of attention.

I'd say Girls of Riyadh, as well, but I found the English version to be much, much different than the Arabic version. The Arabic one features more elements of satire, ones you could only understand if you obviously spoke Arabic. For example, in the wedding scene, the overly-dressed Lebanese lady approaches the girls and speaks to them in this posh Lebanese accent of sorts. It's written in such a hilarious way; I actually laughed at it. The English version is just generally more somberly written. It focuses on the darker side of their lives while the Arabic version balances both elements of positivity and negativity.

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, I absolutely loved it and it actually required a decent amount of attention.

I'd say Girls of Riyadh, as well, but I found the English version to be much, much different than the Arabic version. The Arabic one features more elements of satire, ones you could only understand if you obviously spoke Arabic. For example, in the wedding scene, the overly-dressed Lebanese lady approaches the girls and speaks to them in this posh Lebanese accent of sorts. It's written in such a hilarious way; I actually laughed at it. The English version is just generally more somberly written. It focuses on the darker side of their lives while the Arabic version balances both elements of positivity and negativity.

My mom bought me that book 2 summers ago, and I have to admit I tossed it aside because the cover looked trashy. It looked like some child's novel I wouldn't be interested in reading. But I've read the Arabic synopsis and it sounds like an interesting enough read. I think I'm going to read it in Arabic though, I'll let you know what I think.

Yes! Please do tell me. I suggest you read both, though. They offer you different insights. It's pretty cool :)

I've got the English one lying around on my bedside, but I think I should read the arabic one first. It might be ruined for me! but yes I shall read both and let you know :D thanks!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole? I recommend people read it! It's really fascinating-it's really interesting to analyze-but it's also an amazing read. Lot's of satire, lot's of imagery, lot's of odd humor.

It's like Don Quixote.

That or Blood Meridian by Cormac Mccarthy. It's scary good.

J.R.R. Tolkien is always good too

SOPHIE'S WORLD ROCK! Though I have only finished half of it and out of DAMN curiosity and plane madness (at the time I was on a long haul flight to move from Azerbaijan to Jakarta) I skipped to the end of the book.

Do you think it's good if I re-read it? I mean, I'm afraid I'll get bored :S But the knowledge you gain from it... is just... even at the middle of the book! Amazing, inexplicable. What an inventive and unexpected stimulus for a TOK brain.

Just adding this because I think someone else mentioned the Mortal Instruments series, but also the Infernal Devices series is amazing <3 My sister's Keeper is good. Personally I really like I, Coriander. Cannot for the life of me remember the author's name though... -_-'

Edited by Rainbow_Imi

SOPHIE'S WORLD ROCK! Though I have only finished half of it and out of DAMN curiosity and plane madness (at the time I was on a long haul flight to move from Azerbaijan to Jakarta) I skipped to the end of the book.

Do you think it's good if I re-read it? I mean, I'm afraid I'll get bored :S But the knowledge you gain from it... is just... even at the middle of the book! Amazing, inexplicable. What an inventive and unexpected stimulus for a TOK brain.

Yes, definitely! Like you said, best TOK material ever. Go ahead, reread it. Tell me how it goes :D

My top favs are 'A kite runner' and 'A thousand splendid suns' by Khaled Hosseini. 'The Vagina Monologues' and 'I am an emotional creature' by Eve Ensler, and 'Half-broke Horses' by Jeanette Walls. They're all wonderful stories/plays about strong woman who accomplished and endured. With the the exception of 'A kite runner' which is just a fantastic story in general.

• 4 weeks later...