Dutch universities

nicxl

Hello, I have noticed that several universities in the Netherlands offer bachelor programmes in English and I am particularly interested in Utrecht University (that's a good uni, right?) The thing is, I know nothing about the Dutch system, the application procedures or university rankings... so if you have any knowledge or personal experience please tell me how it works :P Are Dutch universities at the same level as the top-10 UK universities?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say Dutch universities are at a decent level, but nowhere close to the top-10 uk universities. Now thats my opinion, feel free to disagree with me. Utrecht is a good university though, one of the oldest in Europe. I dont know much about the dutch system, but maybe google will help. And I suspect that the dutch have a system similar to the Irish for applications ie. a website where you input all your stuff and then pay. Sorry I dont have much to say about dutch universities, hopefully you will eventually find out what you need.

• 8 months later...

Dutch universities are very chance-based. there are no interviews, instead your application gets thrown into a pool. The better marks you have, the more chance there is that you'll get picked out of the pool. Also, I'd like to say that Dutch student-life is great unless you don't speak Dutch. Everyone basically speaks English but all events will be dutch. Universities in the same city mingle at these events and they're not all gonna be international. The language used is mostly going to be Dutch so you might feel a little left out. I am Dutch and absolutely love Holland but you might want to reconsider going to university there if you've got not bonds with the country whatsoever.

Edited by CharlotteW

Dutch uni's are not all lottery, only Medicine and some others. Your IB diploma, whether you have a 24 or 45 will be seen as an average of 7 out of 10 grades which is OK. (for medicine you need at least 8 out of 10 otherwise lottery).

Courses are in Dutch, except some like international business law etc. You really have to check the website.

Utrecht Uni is a good one. 25th of the world in general according to Shanghai ranking.

If you want to know more message me !

• 2 months later...