Is it too late?

RBST

Hello everybody..

I never thought about being a doctor and so I didn't apply for medicine. During the last few days I was a little bit sick and had some visits to different hospitals. That, surprisingly, made me have another thought about it..

In the UCAS website it's said that "An application for any of the above courses/institutions received after this date (Which is Oct 15,2010) (but by 30 June 2011) will still be sent to the chosen universities and colleges, but the institutions are not obliged to consider it"..

Do I have any hope?

I don't know if you've missed the deadline for a UK university program, but university is only one way through which to become qualified as a medical practitioner in the UK! I don't know exactly how it works- what exactly makes you "in" as a doctor as opposed to a pharmacist. You can find clues on the internet: www.britishcouncil.org/learning-infosheets-medicine.pdf ; You may be able to study with the "Society of Apothecaries" http://www.apothecaries.org/ and take an external examination by the Royal College of Physicians. If you have any prolonged experience with the medical profession you won't be surprised at the reticence of information on the web, but good luck! I read in an old book that 25 years ago it was possible to study medicine at authorized schools or even directly at hospitals, that's probably changed but how will we ever know?

Of course, you can always apply for a second degree after your first degree, or take a gap year. After all, what's one year off when medical studies are a minimum 4-6 years plus residency?