The beginnings of EE

ezex

Hello EE writers or future writers (dont worry you still have a week, take your time), I figured that since I have a year left of I might start reading some of the things you guys have done or will do to write this...splendid piece of paper.

First off: In our school we have this due date list, tell me if it happens in your schools too. As soon as you start your junior year, you get a list with blank spaces for signatures. Every week you're supposed to have your mentor sign your work. And you have to show real work too, not just say you're doing it. For example, the first month you're supposed to have the first page done with resources and a started bibliography. Does it happen like this in your schools? is this "chek-list" a requirement for IB? Or is this just something the school does to keep us on track?

Guest iber2468

We started really working in the spring of Year 1, yes we had that list too, yes we had to get biweekly meetings with our sponsor, yes we had to fill out a log and get he/she to sign it.

Teachers + schools are terrified of getting an audit from IBO, that's why they prepare all the proper housework.

For ours (i did history)

Draft 1 - Detailed outline, annotated biblio (Due in June of year 1)

Draft 2 - 2500 words, rough structure, paragraph with headings, biblio, suggested appendix attached (Due Sept of year 2)

Draft 3 - 3000 words, more indepth etc, all appendices + table of contents + cover page attached (Due late Sept/Early Oct of Year 2)

Draft 4 - 3500 words, all reqs meet blah blah blah (Due late Oct of Year 2)

Finally Submission - Nov 5, 2007 =D

We got a long list of due dates and assignments and such. We didn't need to get signatures from supervisor every week but there were special dates that things were suppose to be done and signatures were needed.

I don't remember much now though. Most of it was like the process, supervision talk, sources gathered, plans for the summer, first draft and etc. Basically, if you didn't get the signatures signed by the final due date, they wouldn't sign that it was your own work and thus you wouldn't get your diploma. This actually happened for one person who had to re-do his whole year because he didn't get signatures before the final due date.

• 3 weeks later...
My school sucks. They had deadlines every month for the ee.

Doesn't mean that they suck! In fact, you should take advantage of it. Yes, it can be stressful and annoying but if you think about it - it's all for your sake. If they have deadlines often then they make sure you actually do your work and don't end up writing it the week before the final deadline.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest enricoisgay

Our school has only 1 date which is set and checked as the day to hand it in. Oh, and a week before that to hand it in to the supervisor for a "final check". That means some people won't be doing it till it's too late.

I'm a junior (11th grade/first year of IB) now, and on Friday I turn in my first Progress Report which is basically selecting a topic, focus area and advisor. I think at the end of March or was it April we have another Progress Report, and by end-May we need a full outline. Then there are 2 drafts (one's 2500 words and one's the almost-completed version that the advisor grades) to submit at various points senior year, then we turn in the final completed version around February. They have lots of deadlines to make sure we keep up, which is nice.

Our school was so stupid. They gave us a list of deadlines in the second term of Yr 12 with the final being due in the first month of Yr 13. They then never checked with us at all assuming the supervisors were actually supervising, which they weren't. Basically, this means that most people wrote the first draft in the christmas break of Yr 13 and now we're struggling to finish it on time. Last year (first year our school did IB), most kids got 0s or 1s for the extra point, which makes me veryvery worried as I really need these two points. =(

I'm a junior (1st year of IB) and we haven't been officially told about the EE yet.

All we know is what we heard from the seniors.

So most kids have no idea whats going on.

I was lucky enough to find a mentor already (and even better, she has her doctorate in Russian History). Oh yeah I think my topic will be examining the years of 1902-1912 or somewhere like that and it will either chronicle the Fall of the Romanov Dynasty or the rise of the Bolsheviks. I'm not sure which angle i'll take yet...

I'm a junior (1st year of IB) and we haven't been officially told about the EE yet.

All we know is what we heard from the seniors.

So most kids have no idea whats going on.

I was lucky enough to find a mentor already (and even better, she has her doctorate in Russian History). Oh yeah I think my topic will be examining the years of 1902-1912 or somewhere like that and it will either chronicle the Fall of the Romanov Dynasty or the rise of the Bolsheviks. I'm not sure which angle i'll take yet...

pretty nice topic, but im sure she'll tell you to narrow it down

meh, i have no clue what to do... im in a battle between math, bio and history...

dunno which to pick.

according to you guys which one should i pick?

• 1 month later...

Though teachers have mentioned it throughout our High School career, we didn't hear anything until last week... (near the end of Junior Year) we have to find a supervisor and come up with a detailed explanation of our topic and the angle we plan to take and hand it in before school gets out.

Then we spend summer vacation researching and writing a rough draft... (i have no idea HOW we're supposed to communicate with supervisors throughout this time... i wouldnt think they would want to hear from students on their months off...)

And the Rough Draft is due in August when we go back to school. then some editing and the final draft is due on Halloween of Senior year... at the "turn in party" which doubles as our costumed halloween party. [at least they try to make it fun...?]

• 3 years later...
Guest Humaira

We started really working in the spring of Year 1, yes we had that list too, yes we had to get biweekly meetings with our sponsor, yes we had to fill out a log and get he/she to sign it.

Teachers + schools are terrified of getting an audit from IBO, that's why they prepare all the proper housework.

For ours (i did history)

Draft 2 - 2500 words, rough structure, paragraph with headings, biblio, suggested appendix attached (Due Sept of year 2)

Draft 3 - 3000 words, more indepth etc, all appendices + table of contents + cover page attached (Due late Sept/Early Oct of Year 2)

what did you write it on?

For ours (i did history)

what did you write it on?

You really expect an answer from someone who posted on Jan 04, 2008?