Should I take the SL Spanish B Exam this year?

adletaY

Hello all, our school's IB coordinator visited our Spanish class and told us there is the possibility of taking the Spanish B SL exam a year early. I am torn on whether I should do this because it would alleviate some pressure from me next year or possibly allow me to take Further Maths SL. However, it costs around $100 extra if I end up retaking the exam, though I guess it would be valuable practice. I am shooting for a 6 or 7, which I suppose I am not likely to achieve after one year of the course. I have taken Spanish for five years and have gotten A's in it every single semester and I think I'm fairly competent. Should I take the exam this year?

Just to offer an alternative opinion, I would be careful with doing this. Have you had experience with mock orals/exams, and do you have much experience in the language? If the latter of the aforementioned characteristics apply to you, then I would say that it's okay for you to take the exam. If only the former applies, then you could take the exam, but be careful.

If you're new to both, then I would advise that you take the exam in May 2012, as it says on your Profile info.

The IA is similar to the IOP in the aspect you described, but I think the topic is on some aspect of cultural to a Spanish speaking country, and there are some other factors thrown in there too in dealing with HOW you speak, not necessarily what you say, even though that is equally important.

Edited by JoeGuff
  • Like 1

Oh yesh I would say you better do it this year. Why? Because it's language B! Language B SL is very easy, objectively. I thought you said you always get an A for 5 years? Then DO IT! You are good, and a 5 years experience is more than enough, I suppose.

Can you imagine how good it is to have less pressure next year? :rofl: ahhh I envy you.. I wish I could take my English B exams this year.

Just do it this year. If you have any doubt, just let us know so that we can give more opinion ok :D

am I right in thinking the IA for language B is similar to the IOP for English where I would have to present on a topic and then answer questions in Spanish?

I think the one for language B must be much easier, compared to language A1. My teacher has not introduced it to us yet, but he mentioned about it and I think it would be like they give you a passage or picture, and then you will need to talk about it. The oral would be in the form of interview, not presentation. That is what I can recall from what my teacher said, though. And it is English B. However, I think he said for SL Spanish and SL French they would just give a picture, not a passage. Yeah I think he said that picture is for SL, passage is for HL.

I think the one for language B must be much easier, compared to language A1. My teacher has not introduced it to us yet, but he mentioned about it and I think it would be like they give you a passage or picture, and then you will need to talk about it. The oral would be in the form of interview, not presentation. That is what I can recall from what my teacher said, though. And it is English B. However, I think he said for SL Spanish and SL French they would just give a picture, not a passage. Yeah I think he said that picture is for SL, passage is for HL.

Actually I believe it is still a speaking oral and the changes to a passage will be implemented next year not this one.