is french hard?

peiyao

i have never studied any french before , and for next semester i have to take french regular, and chinese b as my second language . so i was wondering since i have to take french regular anyways, why not just make it french ib? i don't know if it's really hard for a beginner, even though the course is suppose to start from the begining but i'm sure it'll still move at a fast pace. and i would get a way higher mark in chinese, but the downside is i wouldn't learn anything from it since i already speak perfect chinese.

so did anybody took french ab initio with no background at all? i really need your advice!

thank you!

and also my friend said that it starts easy, but as it gets to grade 11 or 12, does it go really fast ?

It really depends on the teacher, on how many languages you already know and how willing you are to learn it.

I personally only took French AB Initio Because I had no choice - I personally dislike the French language, but the only other available language classes were Arabic A1 (and I barely speak Arabic), French B and Spanish AB Initio (Which I couldn't take because my Spanish is more fluent and without an accent, unlike the teacher's).

Anyways, French AB Initio is not too hard a class for me, since I'm fluent in Spanish and Russian, as well as English, it is easy for me to understand the grammar and relate vocabulary from one language to another. I hate the boring and generic course material (my name is..., going to the shop, clothes, the environment, occupations, work, leisure...), but so far I'm getting a great grade in class because I grasp the concepts easily.

What you need to do is memorize conjugations, vocabulary, remember certain grammar rules and such. But altogether, it is not an extremely hard class - and if the teacher has any clue of what they're doing, they'll ask about how much French background do people in the class have and adjust to that.

Edited by qliphoth93

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...