Legitimacy

December

Hello all, I'm unsure if this is the proper place to post this, so please bear with me.

The IB is new to my school, making my year the first batch ^-^, and my Film SL teacher is allegedly making the course two years long, even though it is a one year course.

I need to know if his action is legitimate or not. Thanks for the help :P

Hey, I'm the first batch through for our school as well :P.

I'm pretty sure that the IB is fine with however your school runs any of the courses as long as it is taught for no longer than two years. But is Film SL normally only one year? I thought that all IB courses were two years but you could take the exams early if you wanted.

IB is a two year program, so most people take SL courses that are two years long. For example I'm taking French SL and my exam is in 2012, so it's two years long. So technically it is legitimate (and perfectly normal) by IB standards.

However if Film SL is usually a one-year course at your school, then that's something you should talk to your IB coordinator or school admin about.

Most IB courses aren't two years long, you could take History SL first year and History HL next year and not take the SL test until History HL or you could just take the HL test. That may be what you are referring too.

Is the FIlm SL course have HL curriculum the second year? becuase that may be what your teacher had in mind, supposing that most of the SL students would go on to HL

Hey, I'm the first batch through for our school as well :P.

I'm pretty sure that the IB is fine with however your school runs any of the courses as long as it is taught for no longer than two years. But is Film SL normally only one year? I thought that all IB courses were two years but you could take the exams early if you wanted.

Well, I believe it is one year long because SL needs 150 hours of teacher hours where as HL needs 240 hours.

I didn't hear about the taking exams early before, sounds interesting...

Thanks for the reply and good luck this year :v:

Most IB courses aren't two years long, you could take History SL first year and History HL next year and not take the SL test until History HL or you could just take the HL test. That may be what you are referring too.

Is the FIlm SL course have HL curriculum the second year? becuase that may be what your teacher had in mind, supposing that most of the SL students would go on to HL

Well since this is the first year my school has IB, there is no HL option for Film. However, that second part might happen since my teacher is the unpredictable type. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

This is an American school practice where you squash all SL subject into 1 year. The thing is, because the IB allocates the number of hours to a subject, some American schools decide that students take maybe 4 subjects in the first year and finish all the SL subjects, and in the second they take the remain 2 HL and TOK (or something similar). I've seen people describe it happen before it just seems to be an American thing. Anyway, most schools in other countries you would take all 6 subjects for 2 years and take exams at the end of those. That was the way the IB was designed too, because exams are logically at the end of those 2 years. But schools don't have to follow that format (apparently). So the way I see it, there's not "one year course" in IB, only anticipated course which is not the norm to begin with.

This is an American school practice where you squash all SL subject into 1 year. The thing is, because the IB allocates the number of hours to a subject, some American schools decide that students take maybe 4 subjects in the first year and finish all the SL subjects, and in the second they take the remain 2 HL and TOK (or something similar). I've seen people describe it happen before it just seems to be an American thing. Anyway, most schools in other countries you would take all 6 subjects for 2 years and take exams at the end of those. That was the way the IB was designed too, because exams are logically at the end of those 2 years. But schools don't have to follow that format (apparently). So the way I see it, there's not "one year course" in IB, only anticipated course which is not the norm to begin with.

Thanks for putting things into perspective Hien :console: