ORAL TOK: problems of language in a modern world society

coca cola

Hello I am working on my tok oral and I need some help in the subject which is the problems of language in a modern world society. Now a days with a globalized world sometimes is hard to get across an idea to a person who has a complete different culture.

my main examples are related to social anthropology's book "Small places large issues", specially chapter about modes of thought, but I would like to relate this topic to other areas of knowledge.

thank you and i hope you can help meeeeeeeeeeee

Hey! your topic for debate seems really interesting! actually, I don´t know much about IB anthropology because I´m not taking the subject, but I can help you relating the problem with TOK that is the essence of the oral. One problem that comes to my mind is related to translations in different languages, for example when you´re watching a movie with subtitles, many times, expressions that exist in english do not make any sense when they´re told in spanish for instance. Never happened to you? You should look for an example for phrases that have a meaning in a given language but do not mean something in another language. I hope my brief example helped! and remember TOK demands balanced positions, bearing in mind different perspectives and their applications. The latter must be shown in your oral. Plus, the most relevant thing, try to settle a debate with your class, and try not to repeat what books say. GOOD LUCK! E-mail me anytime you need help!