United World College

Guest Sandan

So, I am applying to the UWC for next year, and I'm curious if there's anyone on the site who goes to one, who would be willing to chat with me about it.

I'm already in my first year of the IB. Is it worth it to do a whole extra year?

Is doing homework easier or harder living at school?

How do you deal with being away from home eight months out of the year?

Can you give me any advice about my application?

I guess I'm curious what the whole thing is like.

Ok, cheers.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, I posted this under General, and someone moved it here, I didn't realize there was a whole thread on UWCs.

Edited by MagicSophie

• 8 years later...
On 11/1/2010 at 6:18 AM, Guest Soiboist said:

Do you just apply for the UWC in your own country? And can you tell them what country you would prefer to study in? What kind of people are they looking for? I mean what do they like to hear at the interview?

You need to apply through national committee in your country.

www.uwc.org

On 4/14/2010 at 9:45 PM, racerocks said:

For anyone coming across this thread: yes, apply to the UWCs! The UWCs are widely recognized centres of excellence with respect to producing intellectually-mature student leaders. A UWC is a challenging but very rewarding experience, and you have next to nothing to lose from just applying. Contact your country's selection committee to learn more about your options.

Over and above each college offers experiential learning

On 11/2/2010 at 12:19 PM, yahzuk said:

yes it certainly is rewarding (so far anyhow) and will appear great to employers and universities.

yes these things can be an issue but again they are so worth it. i do three hours of music, 2 hours of basketball and 1 hour of model united nations as well as 2-3 hours of community service a week. yes they take up a lot of my time and i can sometimes be up very late doing homework but i enjoy every second of my extra activities and homework isn't a chore because the IB makes sure that you aren't just doing worksheets and quizzes, you are participating in self-improvement and self-exploration all the time. yes i have times when im very stressed and want to scream but then i calm myself down by saying its all so worth it and the good moments are always ten times better than the bad moments. most UWCs have designated times and areas where you can study in silence and anyone being disruptive removed from the area. also there are free periods where you can study in the library during the school day. as for the teachers, all of the ones i have are excellent, but i cant guarantee that is the same for all UWCs and even all subjects at my school because of course i only take some of them. UWCM is a very new school so most of the teachers were there previously when it was just a normal school however, this doesnt mean anything because i'm pretty sure that teachers are selected just like in every other school, they dont have to be unique individuals like the students... but at the end of the day the ethos of the IB is about being organised and motivated to study by yourself and learn new things on your own, so it shouldnt be an issue.

hope that helps!

Yes, it was of great help.