Help with writing history essys?

missbrokensmile

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to write a good history essay. I'm getting around the 13 - 15 band, but I cannot seem to get into the top band. Apparently a 13 - 15 mark is good (?), but since I didn't so well in the IA (I think) I need to get into that top band to increase my chances of getting a 7.

Everyone says to have better analysis, include different interpretations, etc, which is all good advice, but for some reason, it's not translating for me.

So, I was wondering, does anyone have any exemplar Paper 2 style essays they'd like to share or know where to find? And perhaps even better, an essay that has comments/critiques clearly outlining what is good/bad about that line or point? Or perhaps any other tips?

I'd greatly appreciate any help!

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to write a good history essay. I'm getting around the 13 - 15 band, but I cannot seem to get into the top band. Apparently a 13 - 15 mark is good (?), but since I didn't so well in the IA (I think) I need to get into that top band to increase my chances of getting a 7.

Everyone says to have better analysis, include different interpretations, etc, which is all good advice, but for some reason, it's not translating for me.

So, I was wondering, does anyone have any exemplar Paper 2 style essays they'd like to share or know where to find? And perhaps even better, an essay that has comments/critiques clearly outlining what is good/bad about that line or point? Or perhaps any other tips?

I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Hi :D

If your essay is clearly structured, includes the most significant events/people/treaties etc. related to the question and you talk about the political, how the social conditions were, a fact or two about the military, something about the economic conditions and last, but not least, include something about religion... then I don't see why you can't get a 6/7?

*Tips: Remember the word MERSP - Military, Economic, Religious, Social and Political.

Remember that Stating that Hitler tried to join the Austrian Army in 1914 is not enough, you have to analyse it, i.e. write why he tried to join the Austrian Army and also, how did this effect the future? [Not the best example, but you get the point...]

And, always, after getting your test back, go to the teacher and ask if he can point out the specific mistakes.. Any relevant events you missed? Did you consider all aspects related to the Q?

Good luck!

Edited by Licorice