IB books you absolutely loved

I loved Remarque's "All Quiet on the Western Front", I fell in love with "The Wars" by Timothy Findley, love Jane Austin (too bad I wont get to read her books at all :rolleyes: ) love and am looking forward to "The Stranger" by Camus.

What about you? what books do you need for IB that you absolutely want to read?

• Like 7

None so far. Brave New World was OK, but I didn't like 1984 that much. Then again it's my first year of IB, so maybe there's a good book in there somewhere.

I loved House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende), The Age of Innocence and Ethan Frome (both Edith Wharton). I wish we could have spent more time on House of the Spirits. We only spent about a week going through it in class. :)

• Like 3

I loved The Leopard by Giuseppe di Lampedusa :)

Also the poems of Ted Hughes and John Keats.

Basically anything with absolutely sublime writing. The Leopard was, in that respect, legendary.

I loved Remarque's "All Quiet on the Western Front", I fell in love with "The Wars" by Timothy Findley, love Jane Austin (too bad I wont get to read her books at all :) ) love and am looking forward to "The Stranger" by Camus.

We didn't read All Quiet on the Western Front in class but I definitely thought it was amazing. Haven't read Austen or Findley, and I've read The Stranger in both French and English several times and don't like it much :\ but Candide in French was definitely good, House of Spirits I think somebody mentioned, and I also liked The Great Gatsby of course as well as Death of a Salesman. Kafka I can't stand.

The stranger wasnot really nice, but i can say that animal farm by george orwell is amazing, hamlet by shekspear is amazing too.

• Like 1

Out of the first three books I've studied so far, I haven't loved any, but Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse was alright.

An Imaginary Life - David Malouf was very difficult to decipher, because of the many abstract possibilities. A Small Place - Jamaica Kincaid was just really unbearable, because of her ill-mannered satire.

Guest Chance

Usually I find analysing books takes some of the joy out of them, but I LOVED dissecting Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. Gatesby was great too obviously, as was Atonement.

I loved Remarque's "All Quiet on the Western Front", I fell in love with "The Wars" by Timothy Findley, love Jane Austin (too bad I wont get to read her books at all :) ) love and am looking forward to "The Stranger" by Camus.

I'm currently working on "The Book of Disquiet"-Fernando Pessoa and analysing "Frankenstein" -Mary Shelley not so much Beowulf. They're both really fun to read (well, Pessoa's is a little more depressing, but great for picking up motifs!)

Last year it was the Picture of Dorian Grey. I LOOOVED that book. Had a lot of memorable quotes!

Off the top of my head;

"My older brothers never die and my younger brothers seem to do nothing else!" Lord Henry (LOL!)