IB books you absolutely loved

azulverde:)

• 1 month later...

I usually love all books we read in school because I would never pick them up on my own but they always end up so darn good. (:

So far, I adored The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. Loved it.

The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston was another really good one and I really enjoyed Brave New World by Aldous Huxley but we read that one in Honours English, not IB...

I haven't finished all my IB books but so far I like:

• Rumah Boneka (A Doll's House) by Henrik Ibsen
  • Nyai Dasima by S.M. Ardan
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (<-- still reading it)

I personally hate reading but those books successfully interest me :)

PS. Those 3 books are all small, thin and the fonts are quite big lol :P

All Quiet on the Western Front was very well done and I definitely enjoyed reading it.

Everyone said All the Pretty Horses was their least favorite book, but I actually enjoyed it.

I usually love Shakespeare, but King Lear is driving me crazy. I think it's because we're not actually reading the whole thing, just random chapters and so it's really difficult to tell what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

We've had some pretty hit and miss books at my school. Absolutely hated Antigone (part of this was the translation, because Fitzgerald kept tossing in all kinds of Christianity references that had nothing to do with the play at all) and pretty much all of the Greek plays we had to read - I can understand their importance but they really just aren't too riveting or intriguing.

Siddhartha was alright, though in my opinion, Hesse's book Demian is a much more interesting read. I enjoyed Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, We by Zamyatin, and A Doll's House, but I loved reading Frankenstein and Macbeth so much that I read them both twice. It seems a lot of people read The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, but my class read Going After Cacciato (same author), and I think it's an excellent book - O'Brien wrote very meticulously and it was a very well done novel. Currently reading Catch-22 for my A1 class, and though I'm not very far in I like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I really loved Disgrace by Coetzee.

Oh, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. It's a great play and it's quite fun to act out.

I see a lot of you enjoyed T Williams' plays. I wasn't very fond of Baby Doll but maybe A Streetcar(...) is better!

I read The Importance of Being Earnest, too. Hilarious (maybe because we read Death of a Salesman right before it so anything mildly funny seemed hysterical) but I always felt like I was missing something deeper with that play. Death of a Salesman is depressing but beautiful. Hamlet was good, too. Had a lot of suspense, although it has a depressing ending!