IB books you absolutely loved

azulverde:)

I loved all the books I've read so far (Catcher in the Rye, Metamorphosis, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Sound of Waves, and The Great Gatsby(omg you do NOT understand how much I love this book!), except for The Stranger. Discussing it was awesome, but the writing of that book IRKED me...

I learned to love The House of the Spirits after a while. Much Ado About Nothing completely cracked me up. I could not -stand- Never Let Me Go. In Swedish A1 I loved the poems of Karin Boye, and Ondskan (Evil)- freaked me out, that book did, but at least it didn't annoy me :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also liked The House of Spirits (I.Allende), and The Master and Margarita (M.Bulhakov), but my favorite so far was Foreigner (M.Kuncewiczowa). I did not like The Unbearable Lightness of Being (M.Kundera) though. Overall I have to say that our teacher chose interesting books (way better than the normal national curriculum in my country ;) ), but still I am jealous when I am reading that some people do Metamorphosis, The Stranger or Perfume, because I absolutely love those books, even though we don't do it at school.

I definetely loved Isabel Allende's "House of Spirits" and Jonathan Safran Foer's "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close". They were both marvellous reading.

Also, we read a Norwegian book by Per Petterson called "Out Stealing Horses", which also was very nice.

All of our books were rather despressing apart from Room with a view (forster) and Age of Innocence (Wharton). I did like Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain Fournier though, it was rather dream-like. I loved Metamorphosis because it was short and we got to read it in German too.

We just finished reading Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time and I absolutly adored it. That's it really for this year, but I didn't mind Broken April or Woman at Point Zero.

Last year's summer reading assignment was I'm A Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson, and while it didn't have much in terms of IB standards, I loved it; but then again Bill Bryson is one of my favourite authors. :)

The Stranger has definitely been one of my favorites... But that's next to a Thousand Cranes and The Metamorphosis which were super typical IB-boring. Then there was Beloved... Definitely one of the most insane books I've ever read. My favorite book so far though has been The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brien, we just finished it. The annotations were kind of tough, but it was the most engaging book I guess...

I loved "The Lord of the Flies" (W. Golding) and "Dr. Zhivago" (B. Pasternak).

The latter one is truly a masterpiece. The first chapters were boring, but after chapter 3 everything starts making sense (Like a puzzle), I also loved the perception of the world that Dr. Zhivago has.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed A Song Flung Up to Heaven by Maya Angelou, I loved One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, and Animal Farm (Pre-IB Dip) was also a very worthwhile read. Much better than most of the depressing texts my school usually picks. ^_^

Only 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' so far. Although, I did like 'The Metamorphosis' too. The rest (Like Water for Chocoalte, Death and the Maiden and Love in the Time of Cholera) were all terrible in my opinion; especially 'Death and the Maiden' - such bad writing that an excessive use of swear words was necessary to convey the emotions... :angry: