IB books you absolutely loved

azulverde:)

Only 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' so far. Although, I did like 'The Metamorphosis' too. The rest (Like Water for Chocoalte, Death and the Maiden and Love in the Time of Cholera) were all terrible in my opinion; especially 'Death and the Maiden' - such bad writing that an excessive use of swear words was necessary to convey the emotions... :angry:

Love in the Time of Cholera is the most horrible book I've read to date! But at least some good novels counteract that ^_^

Up to now my favourite IB book is 'Atonement'. It's a book that I would also have read just for fun, and I also did my IOP on it. But I also liked 'Metamorphosis', 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Death in Venice'. My favourite book that I read for Dutch is 'The Perfume', which I just finished.

My part 4 books were brilliant. I'm doing A1. The books we read were Pride & Prejudice (cliché I know, but Jane Austen is just brilliant), the crucible, to kill a mockingbird (classic!) and Balzac and the little chinese seamstress (if you haven't read that one yet, you should. It's brilliant and gives you an insight in chinese literature.!)

New fav: James Joyce's Dubliners. That man is a genius; Araby, Counterparts, and Little Cloud are some of the best short stories I've ever read, and I'm still working on The Dead.

I read James Joyce's Dubliners too, and I think it was ok, my friends loved it XD.

I also read Danilo Kis Encyclopedia of the Dead, and I think it was amazing, I loved specially The Encyclopedia of the Dead (a Whole Life).

One of the books I loved was Delirio By Laura Restrepo, even though I don't think there's an English tranlation of it |:. And I read The Stranger but I didn't like it that much...

I will read One Hundred Years of Solitude (which I've alredy read), Pedro Paramo, and alsoDeath of a Salesman.

Edited by Ferivan

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed Things Fall Apart, A Dry White Season and The Stranger for French A1, and Wuthering Heights wasn't too bad. For English A2, I liked Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Crucible. Lady Chatterly's Lover for English and Madame Bovary for French were definitely my least favourites.

I loved "The House of the Spirits" by Isabel Allende! It was really unfortunate that we couldn't study Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" though- as Allende respected his work- that would have been spectacular!What a delightful work!

I also enjoyed HoS :P

My class did get the chance to read 100 Years, and that was also pretty good. It was definitely a bit whacked, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

So far we have read:Macbeth, The Stranger, A Doll's House, and The Wars. I haven't overly disliked any of them, but I definitely enjoyed A Doll's House and The Wars. I'm reeeaaallly looking forward to reading Wuthering Heights, at least I hope we read it instead of The Tin Flute :S

Initially I hated Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert which we covered for WLs, but it sort of grew on me, especially when I went back to it to do research and find quotes and such. I think must've spent three weeks of English class bitching and abusing Madame Bovary's character to the seventh Hell of Hades and back and loved every moment of it. However when I read the same book in French a year later, I was completely blown away, needless to say the English translation left much, much to be desired in comparison.

Fredrich Dürrenmatt's The Visit made for an interesting read as well, and so was Dancing at Lughnasa when considered in parts and not as a whole.

Edited by Arrowhead

• 1 month later...

Some I've studeied, which I find not bad, "Selected Poems" by Sylvia Plath, "Awakening" by Kate Chopin, "I Will Marry When I want" by Ngugi, "Ghosts" by Henrik Ibsen, "The Cherry Orchard" by Anton Chekhov, "Death of A Salesman" by Arthur Miller.....and Anita Desai's and Murakami's short stories as well..