Sign in to follow this  

Is Wikipedia a valid source?

Because it's more of a summary website that links all different sources together. That's why there are references at the bottom. What do the examiners say about this?

Sorry if it seems that I'm asking a million - okay, two! - questions about sources... my main problem area at the moment haha.

Depends what it's for. Actually using Wikipedia is fine - it's a good place to start, and as you say, often has lots of sources. However NEVER put it on any bibliography. It looks AWFUL. Anyway, if you're talking about citing it as a source of more sources, I would've thought that was like citing your school library, or an entire database - you should just reference the specific books or the specific articles.

You should use Wikipedia's list of references and follow those references to the original. Don't use Wikipedia itself as your reference!

If nothing else, some Wiki articles do talk crap. So you'll want to read the original!

• Like 1

Guest IMBATMAN

I'm just going to tell you to be safe and stay away from Wikipedia unless it has reliable sources.

I asked my art teacher this when I couldn't find any source BUT Wikipedia in one of my artist researches. She replied, "Wikipedia is fine to use as a source, but don't rely on it throughout all your works. You'll want to expand further than just Wikipedia."

As said above, using Wikipedia is a perfectly fine way to find sources and familiarize yourself with the material. I've done this many times before, even in my EE lol.

My teachers, since the 8th grade, have said that CITING Wikipedia is an Academic Death Sentence, so be careful.

Anyways wikipedia probably doesn't go far enough into your topic to be useful.

Read it as your preliminary research before moving onto different sources just to get your bearings.

The sources of wikipedia are a good place to start though.