Is Wikipedia a valid source?

joanjett101

Because it's more of a summary website that links all different sources together. That's why there are references at the bottom. What do the examiners say about this?

Sorry if it seems that I'm asking a million - okay, two! - questions about sources... my main problem area at the moment haha.

Depends what it's for. Actually using Wikipedia is fine - it's a good place to start, and as you say, often has lots of sources. However NEVER put it on any bibliography. It looks AWFUL. Anyway, if you're talking about citing it as a source of more sources, I would've thought that was like citing your school library, or an entire database - you should just reference the specific books or the specific articles.

• 4 weeks later...

As said above, using Wikipedia is a perfectly fine way to find sources and familiarize yourself with the material. I've done this many times before, even in my EE lol.

My teachers, since the 8th grade, have said that CITING Wikipedia is an Academic Death Sentence, so be careful.

• 2 weeks later...