English World Lit 1 Topic

Chrissytd

For my World Lit Paper 1, the only novels I got to choose from are The Metamorphosis, Love in the Time of Cholera, and The Sorrow of War. The two novels I chose to talk about are Love in the Time of Cholera and The Sorrow of War, and how flashbacks are used to develop the stories. Is this a good topic?

For my World Lit Paper 1, the only novels I got to choose from are The Metamorphosis, Love in the Time of Cholera, and The Sorrow of War. The two novels I chose to talk about are Love in the Time of Cholera and The Sorrow of War, and how flashbacks are used to develop the stories. Is this a good topic?

I think this sounds fine, quite good in fact. It depends a little bit on how much of the novels is taken up by these flashbacks, and I haven't read them so I can't comment. If they are quite predominant in the narrative, your topic might be too broad to be 'answered satisfactorily' within the WL world limit.. but only you can judge.

I think this sounds fine, quite good in fact. It depends a little bit on how much of the novels is taken up by these flashbacks, and I haven't read them so I can't comment. If they are quite predominant in the narrative, your topic might be too broad to be 'answered satisfactorily' within the WL world limit.. but only you can judge.

Love in the Time of Cholera jumps back and forth between flashbacks and the present.

Yeah. In that case, you might want to look at another aspect.

Why would it be difficult to write my paper on the flashbacks?

If the novel jumps back and forth, that suggests a fair amount of the novel relies on flashbacks. Which in turn implies that writing a WL on a topic of this breadth would be very difficult.

The thing is your WL is like a passage analysis, except of themes or motifs or some other aspect that has caught your eye. You really have to shed light on it, and it can't be too perfunctory. The trick is to choose the topic right.