Going into gr 9 ib prgram next year

Guest Ali khan

Guest Ali khan

Hi everyone im going to be a official IB student next year but before i do i want to make sure if its worth it ? what benefits do i have if i get the ib diploma? Do most university's look at the IB diploma? i would like to know this stuff from a experienced IB student

thank you.

Hi everyone im going to be a official IB student next year but before i do i want to make sure if its worth it ? what benefits do i have if i get the ib diploma? Do most university's look at the IB diploma? i would like to know this stuff from a experienced IB student

thank you.

Most certainly worth it, 100%, go for it. And "official" ib student is 11th grade and 12 grade or the equivalents I believe (IB1 and IB2). Benefits from IB...hmmmm...most colleges will give credit for exam marks (generally 5+) and a few will hand out scholarships just for doing the program and finishing it. I know UNL (place I'm going to apply to) pays the difference of out of state and in state tuition per year for 4 years (adds up to about $44,000 scholarship). Of course theres always the part where you will be WELL prepared for college, honestly going into the first year of college after IB might be easier...

I'm not sure on how many universities actually look at IB, most will tell you if you check their site out though. Most do as far as I know, at least 95% of all the colleges I've looked at do. Think I covered what you asked, if you have more questions let me know.

thank you.

I am in no way experienced, but I am doing the IB year 1, or IB1, right now.

I did Pre-IB last year, and thought that it was quite good, but once I officially started the IB, it came to me that anything else is inferior. The IB allows student+teachers to have close contact, since the class sizes are terribly small. I came from Canada before, and I am used to approximately 24 students per class. Cut that in half and you have a IB class. The English courses are amazing, and after one month of IB English (A1 SL for me), you will never read a book normally again. You will attempt to look for techniques, etc, and do background checks on the author to link the book to him/her. Biology and Chemistry for me includes a lab a week, and theory work which is quite interesting, and psychology puts me with a teacher who, on the first day, stated "you are here not to learn, but to get a 7. With me, you'll get it."

Now, every time someone tells me they're doing the GCSE, A-Levels or the Hong Kong New Senior Secondary "course", I always wonder how crap it must be to not be in the IB. We learn more, learn faster, think more, etc. Of course, that's totally biased, but ah well.

Universities LOVE the IB (or so they say). Most universities give credits to many courses, and some universities also have a slightly lower admission req. for IB students (for example, IB students may only need 37, but local students maybe need 95% or similar) because they understand how the IB works and also appreciates the teaching method of the IB. However, there are a few universities who totally do not understand the IB and set their entry requirements to 42, WITHOUT bonus points :) (of course, many people who take the IB have other, better choices)

And finally, yes, most unis look at the IP diploma. Definitely.

P.S: don't let people troll you and say how hellish IB is. Plan your time wisely, don't put all your IAs and stuff till last minute and, quoting my biology teacher who was an IB student before, "it's like you're doing the local courses. Except you're 5 times better".

Edited by Dr. Polaris

• 1 month later...

thank you.

Well, I'm taking my Pre-IB test tomorrow, so I can't say much. But, even with my limited knowledge, I'm pretty sure it's worth it. If you're dedicated, go for it. -_-

Good luck guys! IB is worth it for universities in Canada, as far as I know. IB students can get really nice scholarships for good marks and such, and it's well recognized.

It depends on what you want to do though! Don't do IB if you don't think it's worth it, you'll just make yourself miserable.

Btw in Ontario your marks get inflated if you're in IB -_- This may be the case in other provinces too.