Sign in to follow this  

IA Type I - triangles and square

Hi, really need help with this assignment.It is about using 36 coins to make a square or a triangle.In the square, the coins produce square numbers and in the triangle, the coins make triangular numbers. I have a few questions:

i) How would i use technology to develop a more mathematical way to of generating square numbers (1,4,9,16..) and also triangular numbers (1,3,6,10...)

ii) What patterns would arise with these answers

iii) What would be a formula for these results.

Really need help people, thank you.

To make a formula, do Quadratic (or whatever) regression on your calculator, and take a screen-shot of it. Or just use a computer program as excel. This should return a formula, and give you some nice technology points. Just remember to actually do out the math by hand. (or typing lol)

Hey!

Is this one of the portfolios for may 2011 exams as well? If it is, would someone be really kind and PM me the investigation sheet please? I know I don't know you guys and I haven't helped you at all but i would highly appreciate it!

Much thanks,