Good SATs but bad predicted IB; now what?

mikhail

I scored 2360 on my SAT I and 3 800s on my SAT 2s (Chemistry, Math 2 and English Literature).

But I'm on a predicted 36 (excluding bonus points) with HL Maths 5, HL Chem 6, HL Philosophy 7, SL Physics 6, SL German 5 and SL English 7.

I'm thinking of applying to some top tier US schools because of my SAT scores, but I'm not sure how high I should reach seeing as my IB doesn't really match my SATs.

How important are predicted IB scores? Should I apply to the top schools (e.g. Ivy Leagues) given my circumstances?

Thanks guys.

In the grand scheme of things, US unis care more about SATs than IB predicted, but it's that 5 in Maths HL that might cause you trouble. Can you not talk to your teacher about raising your predicted if he/she thinks you're capable of it?

Even if not, with an SAT score like that I'd still give the top tier a shot, just make sure you've got good backups!

People with perfect SAT scores are quite often denied entry into ivy-league schools. Your IB scores will hurt you, but it's not really the end of the world. Your chances of getting into a top tier school is very much dependent on extra-curricular activities seeing as top schools look for more than just great scores. So, if you have been active outside school and can give a good interview, then your SAT scores will be the key to entry. Good luck!

Edited by Fish

You'll be fine, US schools look surprisingly little at your IB predicteds. Sure, MIT might turn you down because of that HL Math 5, but if you're essays portray you as a social science type rather than a natural scientist, you should be fine. A friend of mine, for example, got accepted into Stanford and Duke with worse SATs than you and about similar predicteds.

In the USA, most IB graduates only use their points to determine how much and in what subjects they can be given college credit for and, therefore, be exempt from taking basic entry-level classes. For example, with your predicted 7 in HL English, you would most likely be exempt from taking a class someone would take if it was their first time dealing with college material. In most cases, top tier universities hardly accept any credit, so this would not apply to you.

This is the most use USA IB graduates get with their points. All college applications that I am aware of do not have a specific place for you to report your predicted IB grades because there is a majority of students who apply to colleges (top-tier or not) that do not take IB, and therefore, would be more of a waste than beneficial. If I were you, I would not care about your predicted grades for your American colleges and just send them all of your SAT test scores and the other supplementary requirements of the colleges you are applying to. Most American colleges focus more on SAT scores rather than predicted IB scores just because predications can be wrong and the only way to compare all of the applicants on the same standard would be the SAT Reasoning Test and the SAT Subject Tests.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That's a beast SAT score man, and those SAT IIs are amazing!

Unless it's required, which I don't think it is, you don't even have to send your predicted IB scores since they have NO bearing on admission in the US.

However, and important point is whether you are applying for aid, because internationals who do apply for aid have extremely low chances of acceptance, even with perfect scores across the board.

• 2 months later...

U.S universities don't care that much about your IB score, they only care about your SAT scores and TEOFL if english isn't your first language. They also care about the extra activities outside the classroom. Don't worry and try to improve your math grade and you'll do fine.

Edited by bomaha

• 3 weeks later...

You do not even need IB diploma for US schools, make sure your transcript is good. With good SAT scores, good transcript (all B+/A- - American system, most 6 and 7 - if school uses IB grading) you will get in. If the see that you are doing IB diploma they will be also happy, but ur predicted scores should not hurt you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

dude 36 is a really good score! all the top-noch colleges require a 36+, so you basically already met the requirements. Don't worry, just apply to all the unis and you will at least get into one of them!

Nope. They don't require it at all. Most domestic applicants (and thus the bulk of every freshman class) haven't even done the IB. US acceptances are not conditional on IB scores.

--

As for the IB predicted scores, US schools care either minimally or not at all. Domestic applicants are not even asked to report them. If they wanted to, they'd have to add it in an additional information section. Even if international applicants are asked to report them, they're not strongly considered.

The only thing IB scores really do at US schools is provide credit and placement. Even then, most top schools are stingy. The biggest benefit of the IB when it comes to university is the ability to make a smoother transition between high school and university.

Edited by Red XII