History IA Help!

Rimsha Zareen

Hey guys, my Part A of the IA is due tomorrow and I still am confused about my topic. I mostly want to focus on the atomic bomb, but if you have any other ideas, please do tell.(: Some topics or questions that I brainstormed are:

- Were there any alternatives that America could have used to end WW2, instead of resulting to the atomic bomb?

- Although the dropping of the bomb opened many doors to advancing the world, was it fair to launch it?

- the evolution of the nuclear bomb to nuclear energy

These are just some rough ideas, and if you have anything else that might help me with my IA, please let me know.

Thanks a lot :(

• 2 weeks later...

You want to be able to support your argument. Your topic shouldn't be hypothetical and it's probably not a good idea to base your argument around morals.

I think you could look at your first topic and systematically analyze one or two alternatives. Keep in mind this is a relatively short paper! Define the grounds on which you'd analyze an alternative. That is, one thing be better than the other if it caused the war to end quicker or caused fewer loss of lives or didn't damage the reputation of a country to such and such an extent. Make sure you clearly define what you'll look at and narrow it down well.

• Like 2

You want to be able to support your argument. Your topic shouldn't be hypothetical and it's probably not a good idea to base your argument around morals.

I think you could look at your first topic and systematically analyze one or two alternatives. Keep in mind this is a relatively short paper! Define the grounds on which you'd analyze an alternative. That is, one thing be better than the other if it caused the war to end quicker or caused fewer loss of lives or didn't damage the reputation of a country to such and such an extent. Make sure you clearly define what you'll look at and narrow it down well.

Thanks alot! But I've decided I will not be doing my paper on the nuclear bomb, since it is too complicated and can involve morals. I'm not so sure about my IA topic anymore because I cannot find anything controversial enough.. do you have anything in mind?

I have no clue what you'd find interesting. A good place to start is the syllabus. They've outlined a whole bunch of events and things of importance, divided by region and topics. If some of them sound interesting to you, do some preliminary research about them and see where this leads you. Also make use of your teacher and bounce your ideas off of him/her. The topic doesn't have to be controversial, by the way. It shouldn't be extremely obvious, of course, but you don't have to go out of your way to look for something that has two polar opposite viewpoints. Good luck =)

My teacher recommended these two websites, although I'm not sure if you're HL or SL (one website has a points guide for HL). I hope they help!

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/rmhs/departments/socialstudies/ibhistoryia/home.htm

^This site has a list of topic suggestions and an explanation of each section

http://sites.google.com/a/sturgischarterschool.org/ib-history/internal-assessment

^This site has a section by section guide that includes suggested word counts