math studies

alexandrakk

There shouldn't really be a problem with that. While Math Studies is an "easier" course than Math SL, the admissions officers probably won't discriminate against you for choosing it. Even though more selective Universities (Harvard, Oxford, etc.) may think that you took an easier course, it won't be the deciding factor in your admissions.

• Like 1

There shouldn't really be a problem with that. While Math Studies is an "easier" course than Math SL, the admissions officers probably won't discriminate against you for choosing it. Even though more selective Universities (Harvard, Oxford, etc.) may think that you took an easier course, it won't be the deciding factor in your admissions.

Thanks, I was quite worried earlier, and was starting to regret my decision.

Through your math decision does not worry me (as Psychology really only requires Statistics, which the Studies' syllabus does cover), your Biology choice does. Psychology entails much of Biology, as it is one of the foundational schools of Psychology. Biology HL is recommended, practically required, of all future Psychology majors. Is there any possibility you could switch?

Through your math decision does not worry me (as Psychology really only requires Statistics, which the Studies' syllabus does cover), your Biology choice does. Psychology entails much of Biology, as it is one of the foundational schools of Psychology. Biology HL is recommended, practically required, of all future Psychology majors. Is there any possibility you could switch?

Thank you so much for your concern, actually there is a great possibility for me to switch, because we haven't started doing our higher level work as yet as it is early into the program.

As soon as I return to school from break, I will switch from HL ITGS to HL Biology.

Thank you again.

Not a problem.

The thing with IB is that in countries outside the U.S., your subjects reflect primarily what you want to study in university/college. But in the U.S., it doesn't matter as much. No matter what subjects they take, every U.S. undergraduate student is going to have to take some form of entry-level classes. You don't have to choose what you want to study until your third year of college, unlike our IB friends in Europe. However, taking certain subjects you know you will need in college (such as HL Biology for Biology majors, Psychology majors, etc., or HL Math for Architecture or Engineering) will help you when you get into university/college so it's not learning everything all over again.

If you are planning to apply abroad, that is a different story. But American colleges really don't care what subjects you take, just that you are taking rigorous courses and succeeding in them. You'll have that down, seeing as you are in one of the hardest academic programs. Good luck.

• Like 1