Economics EE on market structure

e.lee313

Hey, I am getting absolutely no help on the EE forum so I am asking here if that's alright. I am doing an EE on the market structure of video game stores in my town. I am getting contact with the owner of one store and the manager of another store. Well, I know the market structure is an oligopoly so is there a better way to structure my topic? I want to analyze the market structure more, so is a title "to what extent is the market an oligopoly" make sense? Also what are the things on what I should consider for the market structure??

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hey, I am getting absolutely no help on the EE forum so I am asking here if that's alright. I am doing an EE on the market structure of video game stores in my town. I am getting contact with the owner of one store and the manager of another store. Well, I know the market structure is an oligopoly so is there a better way to structure my topic? I want to analyze the market structure more, so is a title "to what extent is the market an oligopoly" make sense? Also what are the things on what I should consider for the market structure??

Thanks

Seeing as no one's really helping you, I'll put in some words. hmm I haven't really studied oligopolies yet, just their role in market failure. First off, you should take a look at the product they provide and why consumers buy it. To what extent do consumers really need the product and will continue to purchase it at a price? With oligopolies, they can set high prices and what not since they conquer the market, but when can consumers just say NO and stop buying? Is it a necessity? Is it's demand inelastic or elastic?--with that take a look at the determinants of elasticity. Then you might want to look at the market and why consumers keep buying. Consumer demand is definately something to consider. Although it's not your thesis, you'll realize you might end up changing your thesis with some results you get (survery or what not). it also helps take up some words if you're not good at writing a lot. At the end of the day, consumer demand is what makes oligopolies right? So it's all relavent. Sorry I can't help you out more, first year econ. Haven't really done much.