Chem HL?

Mike

Im a straight A chem student, and I was wondering if it would be in my best intrest to go into Chem HL. Everyone says its crazy hard.

no, its not crazy hard at all, it is quite easy actually... if you want to take something crazy hard, try another science like physics, but chemistry is the easiest of all, even at HL. the questions are easy. Although it has a large number of topics, they are all simple

ok i am gonna the person to say it is crazy hard. i did really well in pre-ib chem, and planned on taking it SL, but i ended up at a new school, and they only offer HL, so i figured it would be OK, but i find it really difficult coz there is just so much to remember.

i have heared (IBO even agrees with this statment, they have siad it themsleves) it is one of the hardest IB tests that you can take....

don't let me disscourage you from taking it, it is a good course, i just find it difficult.

no, its not crazy hard at all, it is quite easy actually... if you want to take something crazy hard, try another science like physics, but chemistry is the easiest of all, even at HL. the questions are easy. Although it has a large number of topics, they are all simple

Biology HL is way easier than Chem HL. I wouldn't say that HL Chem is easy, but I also wouldn't say that it is crazy hard. I found Chem was easily my hardests subject, with English being second hardest, but they were also my favourite subjects. You can do ok in chem even if you aren't taught the entire course by your teacher (my teacher forgot large chunks of the HL and option material, which I discovered and taught myself), or have a mediocre teacher (my teacher again). It is a doable subject though. If you find chem comes naturally then you'll be fine.

Edited by Bandev

• 1 month later...

Chem HL is the easiet HL science in my opinion. The syllabus is not as big as the Biology one, and it's not as hard as physics HL because that's just physics! you need some maths skills for it most certainly, but it shouldn't be too hard, math SL student usually do fine on it.

if you study each topic on its own time (i.e know a topic thoroughly when it is being taught by your teacher) it won't be overwhelming when exam time comes. I really enjoyed the course to be honest and highly recommend it, then again my teacher was super chem teacher, so I have a slight bias.

what do oyu mean she isn't allowed to tell you anything?

i'm in the same chem class as ffaholic so i can respond :)

our chem teacher tells us that he can't tell us how to do labs because ib says so. (lol, that was an odd sentence.) right now we're completely guessing X_X.

so asides from assessments, the content isn't hard to grasp at all.

i'm in the same chem class as ffaholic so i can respond :)

our chem teacher tells us that he can't tell us how to do labs because ib says so. (lol, that was an odd sentence.) right now we're completely guessing X_X.

so asides from assessments, the content isn't hard to grasp at all.

my teacher says the same thing to, so i go in after school, and he'll work with you one on one... IB can't see. he won't tell you much but he'll give you a push in the right direction.

i am currently in Yr II IB of HL Chem and i have a level 6 so far..

so it's doable.. but as other ppl have said, there are alot of topics that need to be covered and that makes it sorta trickey. also, alot of it depends on your teacher.

but ithink as long as you do a decent amoung of hmwk and dont hesitate to ask questions if needed, you should be fine! :)

(i think HL bio is crazy hard.. i have a few friends who are taking it and they're going out of their minds:) )

one more thing,

SL chem is almost like HL chem.. the only difference is one small unit that HL kids cover and SL's dont.

so if you dun think ur going to something that really requires chem for uni, SL chem should suffice.

hope that helped!

really?

i know some students tried talking to him after school and he said "God forbid you guys make one decision in your lives" ... amoungst other things ... then he shut the door on them LOL o_o.

his favorite phase is "you're the scientist" (we are serously making t-shirts and we keep a tally of how often he says theat and the phrase "keep in mind...") if we ask him question during lab. i think the reason he offers us the help after school is because there are ony 5 of us and currently we are all failing (if he would put the grades in the grade book, but i am glad he hasn't yet).

and mike... YAY. i think you will be good at it from what you have told me... i'd offer you help.. but i think you know me well enough at this point to know that that would be a bad idea. :) good luck.. and my your teacher continue to love you

Edited by IBStuck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I will take up Chem HL. But our current chemistry teacher is VERY bad (in capital, italic, bold and underlined letters...and that is an under-statement). I will have to do it come what may because I intend to pursue a medical career after IB. But I am worried...what do you think I require to know before starting it (just to make sure that it goes down well with me and I can cope with it). I had a look at the syllabus. Should I start preparing some topics?

Oh yeah, and something that bugs me big time too...do I have to know the periodic table of the elements by heart?