Bad IB teachers?

Patel108

How many of you guys have teachers that just cannot teach or you absolutely hate?

Math - My IB Math teacher is really sweet and one of the nicest people ever, but......she just can't teach. Except for one unit, Math HL hasn't been that bad so far, but I'm worried as we get farther into the year because it might get really hard and without a good teacher, I might be screwed. On the other hand, we get lots of free time to work on homework (both math and other subjects lol) so meh.......

History - I DESPISE THIS GUY! He has not taught us a single thing, and he just keeps piling us with so much busy work! He acts as if History is the only class we IB kids have to worry about! He's also freaking bipolar and gets angry at small things. One minute he will be talking about something all happily, and the next moment he gets super angry at someone! UGH - sorry I'm just venting my frustration at this guy. Thank God the Year 2 teacher is way better than him.

Anyway, share your experiences with teachers that can't teach, you hate, or whatever.

Edited by RPatel108

I had a Mandarin teacher who didn't teach...literally...she had a grade 12 "helper" who taught the class for her. She didn't even mark most of our stuff. Also I'm not very good at Biology and my teacher is not helpful at all. It's frustrating when you get a teacher who isn't into teaching and doesn't know what they're doing :)

I've had this problem in the past.

My grade 10 science teacher was just horrible and really scared me away from sciences as I managed to pass the class with a 60%. As a result, my parents sent me to an international school, where I expected the same and didn't bother in signing up for chemistry. However, within the first week, I was forced to switch out of Physics into Chemistry because of a schedule conflict with my Economics class, which I wanted to take to keep business open as an option for university. In doing so, I soon began to love Chemistry. Chemistry began fascinating me and I dropped French for Biology and I had the same inspiring experience. I found the sciences really interesting and decided to go into medicine. In doing so, I realized I no longer needed Economics Higher Level, but the only other options were Economics SL and History HL. I hated Economics because all we did was analyze graphs and I often found myself day dreaming in the class. The teacher was a really nice guy, but he just read off a powerpoint most of the time and it was a difficult class to me. The IB coordinator at my school convinced me to switch to Economics SL, since it was a 1-year course at my school and it'd be best to get it over with this year, and I've been in that class for two weeks now and I just love it. It's another teacher and even though its a more fast paced class, I'm able to keep up and find myself interested with the theory of Economics.

With those two experiences, I've learned that teachers really do make a big influence in the learning of a student and can often even change the lived of one, as in my situation. If I had stayed in my first school, I would've never even considered sciences, but now all I want to go into is sciences. It's a big shame when some people have to endure bad teachers. To the OP, I hope things improve for you, if you can switch your schedule to get another teacher that teaches the same class, I strongly recommend it. I'd much rather catch up on one semester of IB work than put up with a bad teacher for 2 years.

• 7 years later...

I have a teacher for Chemistry who doesn't teach that well (or at least, doesn't teach in a way that I can understand), and most of the IB 10th graders at my school can agree with that. She's great as a person, however, her lack of in-depth definitions and methods makes it hard for a lot of us to do well in that class. A lot of the other 10th grade IB students got C's and probably D's as well in that class and I'm certain it's because of her poor teaching style. A few of the students even emailed our IB coordinator about the problem, and at first, it just ticked the teacher off after the IB coordinator told her, in a nutshell, "You need to teach more effectively." But the complaints haven't stopped--one of my friends who is in that class even wrote a whole essay about why the teacher is such a bad teacher.

Is there anything I can do to help solve this problem? I know that a schedule change would help, but I'm not sure if I can get one now since the first quarter has already ended.

Yeah, I have a Maths teacher who just can't teach. She's really smart and knowledgeable, don't get me wrong, but she struggles with explaining the formulas. Not only that, but she moves on too fast and expects us to learn it in one go. There are times where she would so often make mistakes without even realizing and it just completely confuses the entire class.

My Language teacher, all she does is talk about her past life, barely teaching us; and then on top of that, she gives us a whole pile of homework, work, exams etc to ace. Essentially, a minimum amount of work is completed during her classes or sometimes even none. 

So now I have to use up my spare time and give it into these two subjects.