A referral competition?

timtamboy63

So I saw that Desy said that the forum is pretty dead (on the shoutbox), and I thought of a pretty neat way we could get more members.

Basically, most members go to IB Schools right? And IB Schools are full of IB Students. And IB Students are the niche that this forum targets. Hence, if we could get word of mouth referrals going through the students, we could easily gain more members who would hopefully see how useful this forum is, and stick around.

So I was thinking maybe start a referral competition that lasts for a month or two, and whoever has the most referrals at the end of it gets free VIP for a month or something?

I also suggest that we have an Introductions section where the new members can introduce themselves, and be welcomed by the community?

So I saw that Desy said that the forum is pretty dead (on the shoutbox), and I thought of a pretty neat way we could get more members.

Basically, most members go to IB Schools right? And IB Schools are full of IB Students. And IB Students are the niche that this forum targets. Hence, if we could get word of mouth referrals going through the students, we could easily gain more members who would hopefully see how useful this forum is, and stick around.

So I was thinking maybe start a referral competition that lasts for a month or two, and whoever has the most referrals at the end of it gets free VIP for a month or something?

I believe Graeme has mentioned this to us (IBS staffs) before. I think he is working on the referral system, we'll see when this feature would be added :)

I also suggest that we have an Introductions section where the new members can introduce themselves, and be welcomed by the community?

we already do have, in the Chat forum. I have always wanted to tell you but forgot hahaha

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/1620-interview-who-are-you/

There is a referral mod for IPB. These are the features (and description). Let me know what you think. It costs $15 to buy so just need to make sure we want it first :rofl:.

With this app you can allow your members invite other members.

Features:

• enable/disable system,
  • select allowed groups to use this mod,
  • two invite types: free -> user may or may not enter inviter name; force -> user must enter inviter name,
  • list of all invited users,
  • list of all invited users in ACP with filter option for search invited members for specific user,
  • invites by referral link,
  • points system integration ( any system! ),
  • promotion to the new group after reaching specific amount of referred users,
  • ability to enable/disable member powers to raising people via ACP,
  • ability to check all referred users via ACP ( member manage ),
  • three notification methods: PM, E-mail or Inline. - info in member profiles about referrer.

Changes from version 1.0.0 to version 1.0.1:

• added function to invite by referral link,
  • added points system integration,
  • added function to promote to the new group after reaching specific amount of referred users,
  • added function to show referred users via ACP member form management,
  • added notification methods: PM or E-mail.

Changes from version 1.0.1 to version 1.0.2:

• changed 'referals' naming to the correct 'referrals',
  • added info in profile about who referred member,
  • add new notification method: inline.

Changes from version 1.0.2 to version 1.0.3:

• fixed error related to saving member in ACP.

Changes from version 1.0.3 to version 1.0.4:

• added option to view top X referrers in sidebar.

Changes from version 1.0.4 to version 1.0.5:

• fixed error with formating PMs,
  • added option to ban member from using referrals system,
  • added option to view referral link into sidebar, to easily copy it,
  • added option to enable masks for referral links ( active only with FURL enabled ),
  • added option to add points only if referred member made X posts, not just after registration ( based on posts count ),
  • pathed register code, based on IPS path,
  • small changes and cleanups in code.