No conclusion at end of essay

missbrokensmile

I don't necessarily think that it would be that harsh. It would depend on the extent to which you explored the poem or prose. If you have alluded to specific references and it's overall impact on the poem and its themes, I think the examiners would give you credit for that. However, if you have not tried to make any sound conclusion and did a pretty dodgy commentary, you might only receive a 15/25.

BUT! Remember - I am no examiner, so I can't tell you!

But I'm sure you would have been fine, because honestly, if you couldn't fit the conclusion in, chances are your analysis was awesome!

Best of luck!!

Thanks for the replies... Hopefully it's not that bad though?

For my essay, I stated the initial thesis, then for each point, I framed it using the thesis and expanded upon it so it developed throughout the paragraph. I made sure I stated a point of comparison, ie. structure, then expounded upon it further, by showing how the structure emphasised my thesis, ie. sentence length, and then analysed the feature and stated the effect it had on the text and/or supported my thesis. And this continues throughout the paragraph.

I think I had good points. I'm just worried about the conclusion since it's so important in tying up the whole essay...

You've already submitted it. There's really no point in thinking and fretting about what's already done. Leave it and move on, and concentrate on finishing the rest of your exams on time.

And you'll probably be docked about 15-20% of your marks for the paper, if the conclusion was essential to tying up any loose ends in your essay. If there are no loose ends and there was a logical chain and flow of ideas, and the examiner can follow your essay without a hitch, the loss of marks, if any, should be minimal.

• Like 2

I do think that a conclusion is really important. Think of it like a full stop to a sentence, a sentence really isn't a sentence without some sort of "knot - tie-er"

But in saying that, if the rest of your essay is sound then it should be fine. :)The maximum amount of marks you can lose for neglecting a proper conclusion ranges anywhere from 2 - 3, but who knows how those IB examiners mark papers...

Try not to think about this too much!!! (I spent every waking hour in the last 2 weeks worrying about the exams I've already done, when really I should be preparing for the next one.)

If you've finished your exams, run outside and enjoy every moment of summer :(